Lace Front versus Monofilament

Discussion in 'Wigs and Toppers' started by sleeplesshouse, Feb 21, 2010.

1. sleeplesshouse

sleeplesshouse New Member

Can someone tell me the difference -- or the benefits of using a lace front wig over a monofilament wig ??? I cannot understand why one is more beneficial than the other. Does anyone know?
  2. Corinne13106

Corinne13106 New Member

I don't have any answers but I also would love to hear from someone who may have experience with both.
  3. sleeplesshouse

sleeplesshouse New Member

Hi Corinne...someone answered this same post that I put on another website...they said....two things #1). that a mono can hold more density than a lace front and #2). that a lace front is the only way to get the undetectable hairline if not wearing bangs....so, that at least gives me something to go on....if you learn of anything else, let me know :)
  4. Corinne13106

Corinne13106 New Member

Thanks for re-posting this for me! I've looked at diagrams and read descriptions before but this answer really simplifies it well. I think the next I plan on buying a wig I'll just have to try both kinds on and see the difference instead of trying to pick one out online. If I do learn of anything else I will let you know. Thanks again!
  5. lexiemustang

lexiemustang New Member

I'd really like to try a lace front, but I work out a lot and I'm scared the adhesive would come off...anyone have any experiences to share?
  6. NYCGirlie

NYCGirlie New Member

Wig Newbie...Please help

Im at a point where I'd like to have a undetectable wig especially for my thinned front.. Toppers might not blend well so I'm thinking about wig. I read on glueless lace front wigs no glue or tape needed.

Anyone try glueless lace wigs? Do they really stay on? Any information on ordering online? There seems to be so many details (bleached knots? swiss versus french lace cap? cap color?) Any help to get the most natural look possible? If you wash with wig products, will it just airdry into the same style? Thank u for any info since I am clueless :confused:
  7. SusanF

SusanF New Member

This is correct! I wear lace and think it looks great but some people prefer the faux scalp created by mono or silk. You can get a mono top with a lace front to get the best of both worlds if you want.
  8. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

The only thing I know about the differences is that mono-filiment wigs are easier to comb in any direction to get the style U want; whereas a lace front wig gives U a more natural hairline. I haven't yet tried the lace front but I'm close to doing it soon & will let U know what I think of the difference. I prefer not to glue a wig down, altho it would likely hold it on much more securely. I don't want to put any glue into my own hair that's left on my head too. Good question tho. I wondered the same thing when I 1st started to look at wigs. Glad U asked.
  9. Beliza

Beliza New Member

Monofilament wigs with lace front have a sturdier and more detectable type of lace. They stay on without adhering because the sturdiness gives a better hold on the head and makes the lace lie flat if the shape is right. But they need to be adhered to make the lace disappear. Full lace wigs have a softer type of lace that needs adhering to secure the wig and for the lace to lie flat.

Another difference is shedding. Hair on lace is more likely to shed, so it needs "knot sealer" after washing. This can be regular hair spray that makes the knots stick to the lace. As monofilament is more finely woven, it also holds the hair better. You don't need to seal knots on monofilament, neither on stretch mesh that is used for the hand-tied sides and back of mono or silk top wigs. I guess it also has to do with lace lying flat to the scalp, without lining. It gives more friction on the knots. Stretch mesh is usually lined and the cap doesn't sit as tightly on the head.
  10. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Beliza,
    Your description is great !! However, I wonder what type is best to wear for someone who does not want to use any glue because of their remaining hair on their scalp. ( like me )
    I usually just try to buy something that looks natural, fits well & hope it stays on. Sometimes I'll add a headband or scarf. Or use a barrette of sorts to hold it on if there's enuff of my hair to grab it with.
    I know I would just die if I shaved all my hair off, then added a wig that blew off in the wind or got tugged off on a date. Very embarrassing !!
    Any suggestions ?
  11. Beliza

Beliza New Member

I don't want to use tape or glue either, even soaking the lace in alcohol doesn't avoid ripping hair out. I just bought Got2Be Glued Spiking Gel, and am planning to try it on my lace front wig. The people who recommend it say it holds well unless you drench your wig in water, and it removes easily (without ripping hair out or leaving gooey residue).

You can also sew elastic in the wig, which will keep it on - if you search for it online you will find how it's done exactly, I don't know. I read frequently that it works, but I don't know how the lace lies flat - there will be Youtube vids on it, but I didn't research it.

If you don't want either of this, you can wear wigs with temple to temple lace front and wear it with bangs. It may be visible when the wind blows, but maybe it's still more natural than a non lace front wig when the wind blows?
  12. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Your ideas sound good. I like the "Got2B" line of products. All I've tried work well. I wonder about how that stuff will hold if I sweat a lot tho ? That may be considered too much water & may make it slippery. I always worried about the wind showing that I had a wig on. ( still do ) The only way I don't, is to wear a hair peice I like & apply a hair powder to cover up the balding areas that still show. Still working so far, but it's getting tuffer to cover it up. I also avoid going out on windy days. It's a terrible way to live tho.
    I don't think I'd like the elastic. Too afraid it would hurt my head & leave marks Besides, the wigs I get usually have some elastic in them already. A lot of them are adjustable in size too, so they have Velcro. They actually stay on me fairly well. Just slip a little bit. It's annoying, but what choice is there to do except gluing it down in some way...right ?
    I'm just hoping I can find a cure that works before I have too little hair left to wear my pieces. I may be in trouble then.
    Thank U so much for your ideas. I will attempt to try the Got2B product U spoke of.
  13. Cassy

Cassy Member

how do you wear a lace front wig without adhesive or tape if you still have your hairline? do you cut the lace down to the hair? Can you sew on clips? Will you be able to see the lace?
  14. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

I suppose U can, but like others have said, it likely won't lie down flat.
    I feel like I'm between a rock & a hard place becoz I can't use glue, (but I will use that Got2B Gel) and if I want to use nothing, I take the chance that it will slide off like all my other wigs and also show when the wind blows. I think my best choice is to wear a headband with it or a hat, if I'm afraid of it blowing off or showing my almost gone crown of hair.
    I really want to save the little I have, just in case the minoxidi and the new laser comb I bought work. I know I have to give it more time b-4 giving up this time. If I blow it again, I'll never know if it works or not.
    At least winter is coming so I don't have to worry about going swimming just yet. And wearing a hat isn't going to make me too hot. (but I'll still get hat hair !!)
    Gosh, I hate losing my hair !! But to be honest, it may be my imagination this time, but I actually think I see a little fuzz up there !! (I'm hoping...) But it will take a lot more than fuzz to make me look better without a wig. So time will tell.
    Wish U all the best with whatever wig U choose to try wearing. I know it isn't an easy choice.
    It's even gotten worse for me, coz the place I got my pieces from quit selling the one I loved. Now I am stuck !! So my hair has either got to grow in, or I'll have to wear the wig that I still hate.
    This really stinks !!
  15. Cassy

Cassy Member

midnite
    thanks for the answer. Have you found a way to stop the wigs from slipping. I would be interested. By the way I use the lazor comb and love it. I had a shed at first but stick with it. I did get some growth around 5 months.
  16. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

I haven't attempted the Got2B gel as yet. I'm still milking wearing mt hair piece, even tho the combs that hold it on, are almost all broken off. I manage to keep it on by wearing what's left of the hair on top of my head in a pincurl.. Then slipping the hair piece combs thru the bobby pins & it usually holds okay.
    I suppose if your wearing a full wig that has "toupee" clips in it, U could try a similar set up. This works for me with my piece, but I've never tried it with a full wig.
    Thank U so much for telling me you've had luck with your laser comb !!
    I won't give up on it just yet. I've only started using it & I tend to forget to use it every other day. But I'm trying to not to forget. It feels weird b-coz with hardly any hair to comb, it's really just gliding over my head. LOL
    I do hope it'll work anyway. I'm also keeping up with using the Minoxidil 5% foam.
    It's much nicer using this rather than the women's liquid. That stuff dripped all over the place n me. An' U don't need all that much to spread on either. It goes far.
    I use about a dime size puff on each spot I need it on, & moosh it around. Let it dry. Then add my hair powder & comb. Then it looks acceptable to me. But it wouldn't w/o the help of a hair piece or wig of some kind. I am just too too bald !!
    I guess U might like to try a good quality head liner for a full wig to help it from slipping too. I tried a cheap one, but all it did was slip right off along with the wig. Get a good one that has a good rubber edge to it. Not a nylon stocking type. They run somewhere around $8 or $9 each. I think ? If I recall it right. Wearing as full wig over natural hair can be far too slippery. It just doesn't work. Not unless your wig is too tight on U & that keeps it on. I wouldn't wanna wear a tight wig. Don't like discomfort !!
    If U should try any of my suggestions, it would be nice to hear how it worked out for U. I know it'll be awhile b-4 I get to it, myself.
    Best of luck trying anything that helps !! Nice to hear from U too.
  17. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

I haven't used the Got2B gel yet. I'm still milking the use of my hair piece, even tho most of the comb teeth have split off.
    Thank U for telling me U have success using the laser comb !!
    I only got a cheap one, so not sure it's going to work correctly. I forget to use it as often as it says to too, but I'll get better with that.
    I still use the Minoxidil 5%. I only use a dime size puff on each spot I need it. It spreads easily & far, so no more is needed.
    U might want to try wearing a good wig liner under a full wig also. The good ones are a little expensive, but worth it. Do not get a nylon one. They slip right off, along with the wig. Make sure it has a rubber edge to grip to your head well.
    I don't know if these would show under a lace front or not, but worth trying. And I think if U have a liner on, U can pin the wig to it somewhere ?
    I would love to know which U wind up trying with your lace front wig and if it works. I haven't bought that type for myself just yet. But if I can't get my hair to come back enuff, U bet I'm going to !!
    Thanks for writing. Never give up , no matter how much U want to sometimes.
    We are a sisterhood !! God Bless.
  18. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

So sorry for dumb double post !! LOL
  19. Cassy

Cassy Member

midnight
    thanks for ideas. I think I may try the headband Y has spoken about. I worry it will give me a headache but wont know till I try. Keep up the lazer every other day. I quit the first time because it caused a shed. The second time I stuck with it got through the shed and did get some small hairs growing in. It has been almost a year for me on it.
  20. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Hi Cassy...
    I didn't mean a hard headband. What I meant was folding a soft scarf until it appears to be like a headband. They're pretty easy to find & come in a multitude of colors.
    I usually wear a bended denim blue print & it goes well with all of my jeans.
    If it gets sweaty on occasion, I just wash it out in the bathroom sink with mild soapy water, roll it in a towel to mostly dry it, then spread it out flat and it dries in a snap !!
    The best part....... NO pain on my head !!
    (I also bobby pin these scarves around my head to hold it in tighter, too.) Usually one on each side behind my ears is enuff.
    If it's a heavy wig, try using a large bobby pin under the back of the hair too.

Believe me...I am not into discomfort of any kind. If U have enuff of your own hair underneath the wig, U may also try barrettes. Of course...this all depends on the style of wig your wearing.
    When I wear a long one, I sometimes will clip barrettes above my ears. It helps. I just try to not grab too much of the wig hair or the clip will not stay in. Sometimes...I've used those long bobby pins too.
    I do it with shorter styles too sometimes. I think it makes them look cuter....which is a lot for me to say since I don't really feel that most wigs are very cute. (If ya wanna call 'em cute?)
    I've tried a lot of things with wigs. All except for the glue. I fear that most.

I will definitely keep up with the laser comb & minox. It just feels like I have such a long way to go b-4 I could feel I had enuff hair back to go w/o help. (If ever?) But I'll use it 'til it breaks. And if it works, I'll buy another.

Thank U for the reply. I'm usually here. LOL
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012