Link between hair loss and your period?

Discussion in 'Hair Loss Causes' started by yubcheung, Jun 21, 2011.

1. yubcheung

yubcheung New Member

Hi there,

I'm a 19 year old girl that's been suffering with AGA for almost 6 years. I started my period at 13 and then a year later my hair started to fall out, my period has NEVER been consistent since then. It's never on time and it doesn't arrive every month. It's also really heavy as well when I am on my period. Do you think that this could be affecting my hair loss? Either through affecting my iron stores or through some condition that I may not be aware of?

Thank you very much,

Yub
  2. GW07626

GW07626 New Member

All the questions you are asking are questions and tests an endrocinologist would be giving you--so go to a Dr for the tests you need. (Call up and ask if you can give the Dr or nurse your syjmptons and get the lab prescriptions before your appointment, and FYI they usuaslly have to be fasting and early in the morning.) Do not wait for anymore hair loss. It could be thyroid, polycystic ovaries syndrome, even poor iron or even vitamin D or B, etc. Step one is the doctor. You probably will also need to see a dermatologist if the endocrinologist doesn't solve your problems.
    Read this site and other sites re hair loss. One good site was a glossary of hair loss terminology, it really helps to be familiar with the terminology when the doctor starts talking about antiandrogens and DHT, etc.
  3. linzineedshelp

linzineedshelp New Member

hi

iron is one the factors of my hair loss,my ferritin was 8,very low.i had my baby 6 months ago and for 3 months after once my periods returned,they were extremely heavy.unusual for me,i think this is what depleted my iron stores.i would say its very possible that iron could be a factor for you.you should certainly see your doctor and be tested! good luck xxx
  4. yubcheung

yubcheung New Member

Thank you very much! I shall be seeing my GP soon to get my iron stores tested and I will tell her about my period. Thanks, will let you know how it goes. xx
  5. linzineedshelp

linzineedshelp New Member

yeah come back with an update.i hope you find an answer soon. take care xxx
  6. rubys mom

rubys mom New Member

The same story

I have a very long story but will try to make it shorter. I began losing my hair at age 47 and after many years was diagnosed with hashimoto's which my dermatologist (renowned in the world of hair loss) did not attribute my hair loss to. It has been over 10 years and I still have hair...not great hair, but hair. I have a 15 year old daughter that had the most beautiful, thick hair. She got her period a few months before she turned 13 and witin 6 months after getting her period began losing all of that beautiful hair, AND her periods became irregular. We have the same story as most...because she had so much hair, doctors thought I was crazy...maybe too much stress, etc. Long story shorter, finally went to one derm who did blood tests and they came up as an autoimmune disorder. We were sent to a rheumatologist and then an adult endochronologist (we had already seen a pediatric one), who thinks she is on her was to having hashimoto's (way too young) and still can't explain the autoimmune results. She also had very low ferritin (below 15) that we have been working on raising. I would like to take her to Mayo Clinic (we live in Minnesota) this summer for a second or third opinion on all of this.
    For some reason her hair stops falling out about a week before she gets her period and then resumes when she gets it. I know the thyroid is control central so somewhere in there has to be an explanation. I can't believe that I have been dealing with this for 10 plus years and now have to pass it along to my daughter?! TOO MUCH!! SOOO tired of it!
    I will let you know if we get any other "opinions". Best of luck to you!
  7. Dharma2

Dharma2 Member

Hair loss and our cycles

I am having a very similar experience right now. I am 43 years old and have been losing my hair for just over 2 years now. I find that just before my period my hair or should I say scalp starts to feel normal and the hair loss stops completely. Right after my cycle or within a couple of days my hair starts to fall out again. Unfortunately I also get a terrible burning scalp during the hair loss phase. I am finally getting to the point where my scalp is showing and went to a wig shop for the first time yesterday. I really don't understand it but I feel it is hormonally related. I am going to see my naturopath on Friday to do a complete hormone review. He test using saliva which is suppose to be pretty accurate. I'm hoping he can help. I don't know anything about hashimoto's but I will look into it. It is so strange how many women seem to have hair loss issues and so few seem to find an answer or if they do they don't come back here and share the results. The only good thing that has come from this experience was yesterday when I was at the wig shop 3 women entered the shop all wearing wigs and I honestly would never have guessed if I had saw them in public that they worn wigs. They looked great and their hair looked amazingly natural. I took some of the fear of my future with hair loss away. The lady who owes the shop told me once you except your loss and start wearing wigs it's a freedom beyond words.

Dharma:>
  8. Brunotte

Brunotte New Member

With those symptoms, it sounds very likely that you could be suffering from PCOS / Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's hormonal hair loss just like AGA, so the patterns / type of hair loss is often similar. I would talk to a Gynecologist about your period irregularities + hair loss.
  9. nine

nine New Member

I'd say both your serum ferritin and your homone levels need testing. It may be low iron, it may be PCOS, or it may be both.

Ignore the post about Leimo. It is a scam product and does nothing for hair.
  10. dylannme

dylannme New Member

Try to go to a doctor and please update us what happened.
  11. GW07626

GW07626 New Member

Any results from the Dr.'s?
    Did you get a wig, I've always worried it would be hot and heavy and inconvenient with sports, gardening, etc. Any opinions?
  12. Cassy

Cassy Member

Rubys mom
    Do you have an update? I have hashimotos and my daughter who is 15 started losing hair after puberty. Her shedding stops before her period and increases after. Have you found anything else out?
  13. Reha

Reha Member

Your periods can not be consider as directly related to hair fall, main reason of hair fall is stress and weakness.
  14. mc41551231

mc41551231 New Member

Eating unhealthy diet be the reason of hair loss problem. so first concentrate on your healthy diet because healthy diet can protect your hair from hair loss problem.
  15. Julia David

Julia David Member

Hair loss is a condition when a person faces extreme hair fall. Baldness as it is referred to, can be due to hereditary reasons, medication or even because of medical conditions. A little bit of hair fall every day is normal and is part of the growth cycle but when the hair loss becomes a little more than the usual, it might cause baldness. This can affect all - men, women and children. The major factor for hair loss is nutritional deficiency. Other causes are age factor, genetic factor, hormonal changes, stress and excessive dandruff. Hair loss must be treated on time as the risk for getting bald increases every time you have a major hair fall. Baldness can be treated at home using some natural remedies. Read onto know some home remedies for hair loss of baldness.

Home Remedy For Hair Loss

Take a pot of water and soak few fenugreek seeds in it. Massage it in the scalp and wrap a cloth for about 3 hours. Repeat this procedure for a month to get treated of hair loss.

Take uncooked egg yolk and massage it on the scalp. Keep it for an hour and then wash off.