My experience with Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by kittykat, May 18, 2009.

1. kittykat

kittykat New Member

Hi there! I've been lurking for a while and thought I would officially post about my experience with hair loss and hopefully get some advice.

I started noticing a significant amount of thinning at my temples around the end of November. A couple of months prior to that I had stopped using B.C outright because of the side effects I was experiencing. I used the patch for about 12 months and then the nuva ring for about 8-10months. With the nuva ring I was getting insane cramps. Like nothing I had ever felt before. I also, for some reason had the clearest skin I've ever had!!

At the same time I noticed the hair loss I started suffering from severe breakouts on my face, back and chest. I went to the doctor about both (hair loss and acne) and while she was more than happy to treat the acne she kind of shrugged her shoulders about my hair loss and said there was nothing to be done. She did do blood work and she said my horomone levels are "normal".

I went back again to the same doctor and she again could offer me nothing re: the hair loss.

I went back again and this time saw my doctor. I asked for a referral to a dermatologist and she said that first she wanted to try what the dermatologist would recommend anyways. I walked out being told to take iron supplements (i do have chronically low iron), use rogain and with an rx for Ortho-tricyclen.

I'm not satisified with this as I'm worried that taking B.C pills will just excaberate the problem further. For the past couple of months I have been taking iron and just trying to monitor the situation.

I don't notice any excessive shedding during the day, on my pillow or when I shower. I see some baby hairs coming in but I feel like I have lost the overall density of my hair.

I guess i'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next. I'm not sure if I should take the b.c or just continue with trying to take care of myself emotionally, physically and spirtually as much as possible and hope that things improve.

My mother did experience the same thing about 10 years ago, used rogaine and to date, still has *thin* hair but things have not gotten worse. However, I saw my aunt this past Christmas and she had siginificant hair loss on the top of her head.

So I am concerned seeing that this pattern runs in the females on my moms side of the family.

Does anyone have any advice?

Oh, and its amazing how many women you notice with similar issues when your experiencing it yourself.

Angela likes this.
  2. finaleofseem

finaleofseem New Member

I'm on a similar regimen ... but it's definitely not for everyone. BCPs can be scary for hair.

I think that, if there's a family history of HL in the women in your family, that trying the rogaine is probably a good idea, as you're likely gentically predisposed to have AGA. If it works for you, you could protentially keep what you have, and maybe even re-grow some. I've used it for about 7mo, and its still too early to tell long-term effects, but I feel like it's helped. However, this does bias me, and of course your treatment is solely your decision. For me, it was worth the risk as my hair loss is still able to be hidden, and if I can maintain this, I'll be happy. If not, between that and the BCP and the aldactone, I'll have done everything I know how to keep my hair.

If you have any questions about my experiences on any of these treatments, I'm more than glad to answer them. I wish you nothing but success with your hair. :)