My Inspiration

Discussion in 'Inspiration' started by kp99, Dec 10, 2013.

1. kp99

kp99 New Member

Hi Ladies,

While I'm not new to this site, I am new to posting on this site. I've been dealing with hair loss (Androgenetic Alopecia) for 5 years now. Fortunately I've not had to wear a hairpiece, but will in the very near future. In fact, I'm going to a wig salon next week.

While I've shed many tears over my hair loss, I recently had a revelation that helps me deal with the situation. I have an almost 3-year-old daughter, and I have to be strong for her. When she was born, I was actually sad because all I thought was "oh no, she's going to have to deal with hair loss". We didn't know what we were having, and her birth was so bittersweet. She was born with male-pattern baldness - bald on top with hair around the sides and back. The OB actually laughed and said she'd never seen anything like it. Little did she know the struggles I was having with my own hair loss.

Fortunately my daughter now has long, curly hair. My husband comes from a family of very thick-haired men and women (with no hair loss), so I hope she takes after him and not me. It's always in the back of my mind, though, that she may have to deal with this some day, so my revelation is that I (as her mother) need to handle my hair loss gracefully. When the time comes for a hairpiece, I need to be strong and wear it/them with confidence. My daughter needs to know that not having hair is not the end of the world. I want to deal with the pain now so that she doesn't have to in the future.

While I pray that the medical community finds a cure, I have to be prepared in case they don't. I need to be a role model for my daughter. If she sees me crying and always obsessing about my hair, she'll think that's how hair loss should be handled.

While I wish this weren't my reality, it is, and one thing I'm thankful for is that my daughter is so young that she will not remember me with my real hair. She'll only know me with my hairpieces, and that will be normal to her.

I hope this helps some of you in dealing with this fate.