My small but significant success story + lessons learned

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Catie, May 31, 2015.

1. Catie

Catie New Member

Hi All,

I was a frequent poster back in 2011 when my hair loss first began and on this Sunday evening four years later, I wanted to share what has worked for me in the hopes that it will help someone else. I can't say that my hair loss is a complete non-issue, but it has gotten a lot better and I don't spend nearly as much time thinking about it - the biggest success of all.

Here are my biggest lessons learned:

1. Don't get a scalp biopsy. I did and I really regret it since that area of my scalp is now thinner - it was a very invasive procedure that didn't really tell me anything new. Unless you are worried about some very rare disorder, I would advise against it.

2. Go see a good trichologist, someone who specializes in hair loss. We all know that doctors don't really understand this issue well. I went to Tony Pierce in Australia and he was extremely knowledgable and gave me the treatment I believe helped my hair significantly. This is because he ran tests to get to the root causes of my hair loss (he's a doctor as well as a trichologist).

3. Identify the root cause of your hair loss. This is easier said than done since hair loss is such a mystery sometimes. But for me, I believe it was a mix of low iron, my gut function not working properly and low vitamin d levels. The trichologist was able to give me treatment that addressed those issues.

4. Don't count hairs. As much as you can, try not to obsess over each hair. I've been there and it just made me feel more helpless.

5. Don't be afraid to wash your hair. This is something the trichologist told me and has really helped my sanity. If you're suffering from tellogen effluvium, it is an internal issue so any external thing (like washing hair or styling) isn't going to really affect the hair loss. Of course you should be gentle on your hair, but don't be afraid to wash, blow dry and make it look its best. This will help you emotionally too - half the battle.

6. Even though I don't believe in hair loss shampoos and conditioners, I have found it helpful to use ones without SLS that are gentle on your hair. I really like the Nature's Gate line.

7. Read, go on walks, talk with friends, laugh. These little things really helped in my darkest of days.

Wishing you ladies all the best. Remember that no matter what, we are more than our hair.

Lots of love,

Catie
    Sophie Lister and xmaspat like this.
  2. Nix

Nix New Member

Thank you for sharing!!
  3. vic

vic New Member

Thank you so much!

It's been a pretty bad hair(loss) day for me today. I needed this.
  4. Anais

Anais New Member

thnx for sharing :)