My story/Couple questions

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by BeckyB1128, Apr 9, 2010.

1. BeckyB1128

BeckyB1128 New Member

Hello everyone! I've been reading these messages on and off for awhile now but wasn't ever sure what to post. I guess I can start off with my story...I am 29 years old and my hair loss began about two years ago. I went on Depo Provera in January of 2008 and my hair began to fall almost exactly three months later. At first I thought I was just experiencing breakage, so I started using strengtheners (my hair was very long and abundant but very fine) by the time I realized the Depo was probably the culprit I had just had my second shot. I missed my third shot in July of 2008 and never went back. By that time, it was coming out in handfuls. Because I was changing jobs and getting married, it was October before I was able to see my PCP, who checked my thyroid and iron levels (both fine) and referred me to a dermatologist. The derm I saw at the time said it was most likely TE (which I was hoping for) and also diagnosed me with seborrheic dermatitis (thats why I was so itchy!) he gave me a topical steroid for the time being and told me to follow up with an anti-dandruff shampoo. For a few months after that my hair continued to fall, but it seemed to be slightly slower than before, and I thought I was seeing some regrowth. Unfortunately, my hair has still not stopped coming out. Although its not as bad as those early days (which I truly believe were Depo induced TE) its still way worse than it was before this all started. Before the Depo I only lost 5-7 strands in the shower, and now I'm probably losing at least 15-20, plus more when i comb through afterwards (ok, still better than the 100 or so I was losing before) My loss has been diffuse, but its starting to be noticeable in the front along the hairline if I wear it down. Reading some of the other stories and posts I don't know whether to laugh or cry because I thought I was the only crazy one who did some of these things (refusing to turn the light on in the bathroom, immediately assess the hair volume of every female in sight, etc) I recently moved and now need to look for a job...I am dreading the interview process because I fear that I will be judged by my hair, especially in the administrative field. I have an appointment with another derm in 3 weeks but my expectations are not high as this one is on a military base. Anywho, now that I've made it through the history I do have a couple of questions...

I am still suffering from persistent seborrheic dermatitis...I have tried just about every anti-dandruff shampoo available OTC, all of them will work for a week or two and then it will come back. The first derm I saw said that it was not related to my hair loss but I never had scalp problems before and they both started at about the same time. My scalp is always itchy and flaky especially around my front hairline and behind my ears, the areas where I'm having the most loss. Sometimes it smells pretty bad too, although I started using Nioxin about a month ago and although I still have flakes it doesn't smell anymore. Has anyone else had persistent SD with their hair loss?

Also, I am looking for possible treatments/options but everything (restoration, laser therapy, extensions even) say it is not good for diffuse loss like I have. Are wigs my only option (when I get to that stage)? Thanks for all the help, it is great to know that there is a website like this for support!

Becky
  2. Reb

Reb New Member

Re: seborrheic dermatitis

Have you tried Jason's dandruff shampoo? The smell isn't terribly pleasant and it is a *pain* to wash out (rinse several times, really well and then maybe follow with a rinse composed of 1/2 water and 1/2 apple cider vinegar), but it works for seborrheic dermatitis.
  3. seashore

seashore New Member

Seborrheic dermatitis with hair loss

BeckyB1128

I have gone thru a recent hair loss episode that started with psoriasis/seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp and telogen effluvium. This eventually turned into androgenic alopecia.

I have been suffering from seborrheic dermatitis throughout my life, on my scalp and around my nose. However, I never had hair loss associated with it until this recent episode. I'm not sure whether there is a correlation between the two, but I don't think it was a coincidence..

About the itching scalp, I feel your pain. I'm sitting here forcing myself not to scratch my head. From experience, I know that stress makes the condition worse. Certain ingredients in shampoos and styling products can also exacerbate the seborrheic dermatitis.

Dandruff shampoos have different ingredients for addressing the dermatitis, but the two that seem to be recommended the most have zinc pyritheone (Head and Shoulders, T-Gel), selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue)or ketoconazole (Nizoral). My scalp is very sensitive so what works for me may not work for you. I also use ABBA Pure Gentle shampoo for sensitive scalp. My dermatologist prescribed Clobetasol topical solution .05% for my scalp but it can only be used for a limited time and once I stopped it's use, the condition returned.

I also have been considering alternatives. My sister has a similar condition, but has more hair loss on top, less on sides and back. Women with that pattern of hair loss could be candidates for hair replacement. I myself have diffuse loss, so would not benefit. Cosmetic treatments like Toppix can match your scalp to your hair color so its less noticeable.

Hope that helps. Good luck on your interview.
  4. BeckyB1128

BeckyB1128 New Member

Thanks!

Thanks ladies for the product ideas, I will look into them. The derm I saw about a year and a half ago did put me on Clobetasol and it seemed to help for a time, I am going to ask for another prescription when I go in a couple weeks. The itching has been unbearable today - but its weird, after I blow dried my hair today I've had absolutely no shedding...at first I thought it was maybe that the hairs were "stuck" under all the flakes (gross, I know, sorry!) but they would still have come up with brushing or "tugging" on my hair and they haven't. Strange...
  5. mimz II

mimz II New Member

i use prescription nizoral 2% once or twice a week--it helps. (it's the only thing that's helped me.)

I also use an apple cider vinegar shampoo that has helped me with itchiness. since my hair tends to be greasy, the shampoo doesn't dry out my hair...but it may for some. it's called poof's closet ACV shampoo.

Let's see, what else do I use...the triple tea tree shampoo from giovanni is good. products from the aubrey organics line leave my hair feeling healthy.

once a week i put a small amount of virgin coconut oil on my roots/itchy parts and leave it overnight.

hope this helps.