My Story

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by BJohnson, May 12, 2009.

1. BJohnson

BJohnson New Member

Hi I am new here. I am 18 and I just recently started experiencing hair loss. During the month of February I was a lot more stressed than usual I had a lot of deadlines that I had to meet, I was applying to college. The next month I started noticing that my hair was thinning.

It started out as just being a little more than usual. I didn't think anything of it but when it got to the point that I was experiencing 5-7 hairs coming out at one time just by touching my hair I started to get worried. I tried to talk to my mom but she wouldn't listen so I had to just hope that it would eventually stop. It continued into April and I got even more worried when I noticed that I could see large portions of my scalp on the back of my head. I went to my doctor and he drew blood but he told me that everything was normal, I didn't have anemia or anything like that. He pretty much told me to deal with it, but not in those words.

It has gotten to the point where I can't even have my hair down when I am around anyone because I am so self-conscious. I am still hoping that it will eventually go away and that I will wake up from this nightmare.
  2. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

Hi, I'm sorry about what you are going through. So many of us here have seen several doctors, hoping for answers - hoping one will at least take us seriously! You will get tons of support here. Good luck.
  3. finaleofseem

finaleofseem New Member

I definitely remember being where you are now, and I'm so sorry you have to deal with it, too.
  4. BJohnson

BJohnson New Member

My Story Update

It has been nearly 8 months since I first posted to this site and every day has still been a struggle for me. After my first encounter with my doctor, who told me that there really wasn't anything that he could do for me and was half convinced that I didn't really even have anything wrong with my hair, I tried to put losing my hair out my mind. It is there though and sometimes I find myself thinking "can anybody see?" "is the thinning patch visible?" but I know that it really isn't.

Since this first started, nearly one year ago, the hair loss has slowed down a lot. There is still some regular shedding but my hair just isn't growing back in fast enough. I am going to start taking some multi vitamin pills though, and I am thinking of taking small doses of Biotin, my cousin recommended it to me because a lot of the women in my family experience some hair loss. I still don't know what is wrong with my hair but I think that I am going to go back to my doctor and demand that he refer me to someone that can actually help me. I don't trust him to actually do anything that will help me besides recommending Rogaine.

I just wish that everything would go back to normal. I wish that I didn't have to deal with this at 18 but I do and I know that I am stronger because of it. I am lucky though because my hair loss is only causing some thinning and not bald spots. It gets a little bit better each day as I come to terms with what is happening. I am not going to let this completely run my life. I refuse to. I am in college now and I have better things to worry about. :)