Natural approach + mind over matter

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by jeaney, Oct 20, 2009.

1. jeaney

jeaney New Member

Hi all! Just thought i'd quickly share my experience over the past 6 months. Ive been experiencing hair loss/thinning for the past 5-6 years and basically adjusted to the fact that I would now have thin/fine hair instead of the thick hair I had since I was a kid. Ive been using the Hairmax laser comb + minoxidil as treatment for the past few years, which managed to keep it under control and occasionally provide some new hair growth. Anyway, about six months ago, I decided that after seeing no real significant hair growth over the years I would stop all my chemical treatments and commit to a more natural approach. I started using Aveda Scalp Benefits shampoo (which really controlled my oily scalp problem), took a good hair, skin and nail supplement (with biotin, silica, zinc, iron and B vitamins), upped my Omega-3 intake (naturally - lots of raw salmon and walnuts!!), limited sugar/processed carb intake and - above all else - cut the stress and envisaged myself with a thick head of hair (instead of always looking straight at my emerging scalp and growing part-line every time i looked into a mirror!!). Now, i am noticing some pretty amazing hair growth. I don't know if it's just a natural cycle, but being disciplined with diet and supplements, as well as mentally 'medicating' myself, has made an enormous difference - physically and mentally. I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but I hope it helps! Thanks. Jx
  2. lazy

lazy New Member

What fantastic news I am really pleased for you. That sounds like a positive handle on things. Are you still using the Hairmax comb? I hope the hair growth continues, your post in certainly proof that it is possible to turn matters round concerning your hair and health.
  3. Momacat

Momacat New Member

Natural Approach

I've tried a few different medicines like Metformin and Sprio. I have seen some improvement, but not as much as I'd like. I have thought the natural approach makes sense, since I think part of the cause of PCOs is from Insulin resistance, from what I've read, anyway. If I ever can give up sugar, eat healthy things, and stick to it, and loose weight, I beleive my body would get balanced. My doctor won't tell me much to help me. Everytime I try to talk to him, he points at his own bald head. Doesn't he realize how bad that makes me feel? I am not a man!
  4. NYCGirlie

NYCGirlie New Member

I am all for trying a naturopathic approach to hair loss. I have been shedding for 3 years now. It has gotten a smidge better but the sheds are still not normal and I can see more scalp at crown and hairline and also see more grey. My doctor gave me a genetic test which confirms high androgen sensitivity, so my guess is that my hairloss was triggered by using high androgenic bcp loestrin. I havent used it for 2+years so Im a bit confused why the hair keeps shedding. He recommends finasteride but I keep reading its not for women in child bearing years. Im early 30s who would like to have kids at some point. I am terrified to take i, terrified to continue doing nothing. DId any of you who have hairloss have androgenic alopecia or hereditary hair loss? Please share what works Im desperate!
  5. Amanda31

Amanda31 New Member

Natural Approach and Success

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to pop in a share my experience with approaching hair loss naturally.

I have been seeing a TCM Doctor (Traditional Chinese Medicine) and so have been receiving acupuncture treatments - not for hair loss but for what this doctor believes is kidney deficiency which led to my hair loss - and for the first time in many years, I have regrowth :) I have kept my hair short as it is sooo thin but now the top of my hair near my scalp is filling in, my part is a normal width again and I can actually envision myself growing my hair a bit longer in the future :) I have had an amazing experience with the natural approach. The best part is, my hair is coming back AND I don't have to worry about endangering my health. I use natural products in my life in general, cleaners, soaps, etc. etc. So for me the natural approach was the only option. I too use the Aveda shampoo and I love it! My hair hasn't looked this good in a long, long time :)

Just wanted to share my story in the hopes that it may help someone else with their struggle.

Cheers!
  6. NYCGirlie

NYCGirlie New Member

Amanda31- Did you go to an herbalist or was it a naturopath? What type of testing did the herbalist to to determine you had a kidney disfunction? I want to try all natural methods to stop my hair loss. Im on Hair Gain all natural vitamin supplement and laser...it has helped a little bit.
  7. Amanda31

Amanda31 New Member

Both :)

Hi NYCGirlie,

The doctor I am seeing is a doctor of Oriental Medicine, and so is considered both a Naturopath and an Herbalist. She practiced in Western medicine for 15 years as well and is highly regarded. If you can find a doctor in your area that works in the same field as her I would highly recommend making a visit. Amazingly enough, she did no testing, she talked to me and listened to what I had to say about my hair loss, asked me questions and reviewed my medical history and the tests I had already had done. She asked me things that I thought were completely unrelated to my hairloss until I understood that she was diagnosing the cause of my hairloss. Based on my hairloss, my history and my answers to her questions she began treating me for the kidney deficiency and she was right on. The thing to remember is that in Oriental Medicine, kidney deficiency does not mean the same thing as Kidney Disease in Modern Medicine. In Oriental Medicine it is believed that everyone has an energy, and everyone's body reacts differently to illness and environment, some people are affected in their lungs, others their liver, others the stomach etc. etc. For me it is my kidney, meaning the energy of my kidney has been affected and is resulting in inexplicible symptoms (i.e. hairloss) It's all about your body's energy. Many people do not believe in this kind of approach, however I am a firm believer as I have seen some amazing results not just in myself. I have never felt better, my overall health is better and my hair is growing back. She was the first doctor to really listen to me, and the first one to get it right. I have been losing my hair for a long time, and now I am finally getting it back. I believe each person has to choose the treatments that are right for them, for me it is a natural approach that is not risking my health. For others it is modern medicine and I fully respect that. Each person must choose what's right for them.

I hope this helps!!
  8. NYCGirlie

NYCGirlie New Member

I am seriously considering seeing a naturopath. I have seen a hair lost expert/dermatologist who seems to have a "standard presecription" of minoxidil and propecia. After much research, I refuse to experiment with my health and subject my future children to birth defects. I have chosen to try natural remedies. I went to a homeopath who was also a licensed nutritionist but she wasnt too knowledgeable about hormone-related hereditary hair loss. Thats what I believe is my issue but am not 100% sure. Were you ever diagnosed with other things before finding out the real cause? Its so hard to pinpoint the problem.

I found 1 naturopath in the New York metro area that I was interested in seeing but she charges $550 per visit! What was your herbalist's price range? Did you try any other natural remedies? I have read about trichogen but only found a few reviews on it. Thanks for any info you can share here or just inbox me. Thanks again!
  9. Amanda31

Amanda31 New Member

Hi NYCGirlie,

I never really got any kind of diagnosis at all from my regular doctor. After my she did bloodwork and determined that it was all normal, I saw a dermatologist and he said the same thing she did: "Women go through normal shedding cycles, your hair will grow back." Well it never did grow back and it continued to shed on and off for several years getting continually thinner until I had a massive shedding this year and in fact I was just looking at a picture today from Christmas where my scalp was shining away under the lights. At that point I decided to try seeing the TCM doctor that my friend had been recommending because she had great success with her medical issues. So my last hope really was the TCM doctor and I didn't know what to expect, but now I can't believe I waited so long to try this approach!

$550 is a lot for a visit! The doctor I see charges $150 for the initial consutlation/treatment (2 hours) and then $95/treatment (1 hour) for the sessions that follow. I was on Biotin for a while, and EPO. I am still on EPO as I find it helps with PMS, and a multivitamin, but stopped the Biotin once I began my treatments.

Hope this is helpful :) Feel free to ask me any questions, I am happy to share whatever info I can that might help!