New and looking for advice

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by TEforMe?, May 22, 2009.

1. TEforMe?

TEforMe? New Member

Hi! I'm glad I found this site. I'm 38 and terrified about losing my hair!!! I've always had great thick hair until 6 weeks ago!

About six weeks or so ago I noticed that I was losing way more hair than normal. I got really nervous and finally went to see an internist a couple of weeks ago. In reviewing my recent medical history, I had a flu like illness back at the end of November and the start of December. I had diarrhea, nausea and no appetite. I ended up losing 10-12 pounds without really trying. I wasn't overweight to start with (about 126ish pounds before l lost any weight). Around the same time I was under probably more stress than normal as well and had some trouble sleeping. Anyway....the diarrhea went away and I was initally somewhat excited about the weight loss and figured I'd use it as a starting point on my annual New Year's resolution to start eating healthy and working out. I didn't have time to work out so I started not eating very much in order to keep the weight off since we were going on vacation in Feb and I wanted to wear a bikini. In retrospect, I was eating very little well into March as well. Anyway....the hair loss got my attention. The internist drew blood. Cholesterol was a little high, ferritin was 24, I have thyroid antibodies, but my TSH, T4 and T3 are all normal. Everything else was normal. I do have a little seborrheic dermatitis behind my ears for which he gave me a steriod cream and it cleared up. He said that my hair loss was mostly stress but since I had a little SD that a trip to the derm wouldn't hurt. Oh, and since my ferritin was on the low side he said to take prenatal vitamins. I went to the derm. He did a pull test and diagnosed me with Telogen Effluvium. He seems to think it was the illness that caused the weight loss that triggered it. He claims I will lose about 1/2 my hair over the next four months and it will grow back. He said there isn't any treatment to stop it, etc.

So after researching, I guess I think the diagnosis is reasonable. I didn't actually tell him about the "diet" so much, but if I had to guess, I think that has probably more to do with the TE than the initual flu like illness. The derm didn't say anything about the little patches of Seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, so either he didn't notice or doesn't think they are contributing. I guess I just want some reassurance that the diagnosis seems reasonable. I am terrified that there is some other underlying cause that is being missed and that will cause me to not have the hair loss stop or get regrowth. If I continue to lose at this rate, I will be bald by the time four months rolls around. :( Since reading about this I've decided that I need to fix my ferritin as well. I started taking a multivitamin when this all started, but since my ferritin was low and the internist suggested PNV, I think I'm going to add an iron supplement. Also, I;m taking extra Biotin (since I read it was good for hair) and evening primrose oil since I heard it was good as well. No one tested my adrenal function or ovarian function. If I'm having regular cycles still does that imply that things are probably OK in that area? I'm trying not to stress about this, but I am completely consumed by it!!! It is ruining my life. The last few days, I've been thinking my eyelashes seem to pull out a little to easy (plucking), so now I have myself convinced that they are going to fall out too. I think I am going completely crazy with all of this, and I just really, really, really want it to stop.
  2. kawawa

kawawa New Member

hard times

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I can't help you with the medical stuff. I have never figured out what caused my HL, so I don't think I can help anyone else figure it out either, basically, just not qualified to give medical advise. There are some really great woman on here who know way more than me.

When I had my bouts of bad shed that I also notice that my eyelashes fell out. They may grow back. Mine did, but the hair didn't really ever come back. I say do all the test and see what comes of it at least you will know more.

All My best
    KAWAWA