Newbie consdering PRP

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by coco123, Mar 7, 2010.

1. coco123

coco123 New Member

I’ve been reading about your stories on this site for a while now and recently got up the courage to join the forum and tell my story and hopefully get to know some of you (wasn't sure where to post this, though). Let me start off by saying that this site and all of you ladies are truly amazing! I’ve read some really great advice given out, and all the words of encouragement and support is really heart-warming! Well, I think this is the first time I’ve openly talked about this with anyone; I’m sure all of you would agree with me that this journey can be (and often is) a very lonely one. My hair loss dates back about 15 years (or so). I’m only 36 so that means it started in college (probably earlier). My freshman year roommate and I would often jokingly comment on how much hair there would be on the floor, both hers and mine. I had so much hair at that time that I didn’t think all that much about it. As college went on and I was losing more and more hair, it started being less funny. I remember going to a derm (or some other doc) around the end of college and of course they checked labs and everything was normal. They told me it was probably genetic. A few more years went by and it was progressively getting thinner and while it was noticeable to me, it wasn’t really noticeable to anyone else. Four or five years ago I did try some shampoo and extract, the name of which, I can’t even remember right now. After about 6mo and about $300 I decided it wasn’t worth it. I went about my life very aware that my hair was getting thinner but again, I had enough then. I do remember a few years ago my grandmother saying that my hair was thinning on top when she had a birds-eye-view of my head. I already knew this but I managed to get away with it without being overly self conscious about it. It wasn’t until about 2-3 months ago that my hair loss moved to the forefront of my consciousness. It seems to be falling out a lot more but then again it has been progressively thinning for years and maybe it just reached that critical point that the remaining hair just isn’t enough now. The past month or so, I’ve been acutely aware of my shiny scalp. In the bright sunlight my scalp has been visible for years (which I’m sure even people with no or little hair loss have to some degree) but now even indoors under fluorescent lights I’m aware of it. I’ve needed to change my hairstyle to try to cover up my scalp. For the first time, I’ve noticed some people actually looking at my scalp. This has been one of the most depressing things that I’ve experienced. I just want to crawl under a rock and never come out. Of course, I can’t because I have to work. And when I’m there, I often have to fight back tears when I think about, which is now all the time, or I count the hours or minutes until I go home where I can cry in peace. I would love to attribute this to something not genetic but I can’t (I’m 99% sure its AGA- my mom has thinning hair and so does my dad and labs have always been normal for me). I was on birth control for many years, probably 10 years and it’s been almost a year since I’ve been off of it completely. Probably, coming off BCP has accelerated my hair loss and perhaps some of the hair loss right now is still the effects of coming off BCP. I have spent countless hours on the internet looking for something, anything to give me some hope. I don’t want to ingest anything for it or use rogaine (minoxidil , the active ingredient gets absorbed into the bloodstream and is actually a blood pressure medication and my bp already runs on the low side—of course the doses that get absorbed are low doses). There seem to be very few, if any natural products that give consistent results. NISIM did seem to have some data to back up their claims but I’ve been using it for a month and have no results to speak of, not even slowing down the hair loss, which they say should happen within a week. I know a month is a short period of time but it almost seems like I’m losing more hair and I don’t think I can afford that right now. The one thing I am very intrigued by, though, is all tthe info I’ve read about PRP therapy (Admin and Lisah, your posts have been so informative-thank you for that). In fact, I have an appointment for a consultation this week. I do have a lot of questions for them and I guess if I get a satisfactory answer to them, I most likely will go through with it. I will keep you all updated on what happens…Thank you all so much for listening…its such a relief that theres a place like this where people understand :)