No hair No worries

Discussion in 'Inspiration' started by Tan B, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Meta

Meta New Member

I have to thank you for your kind words. It's nice to hear advice from someone who's going threw the same thing. I have to take it day by day and wait to hear what the doctors have to say. The dermatologists around here where I live basically told they had no clue what's going on. So I realized it's time to visit the doctors who deal with hair loss. So I'm just waiting for my appt. February 13th.
    I had to laugh when you mentioned how much you can't stand wearing a wig. I too can't stand them. I bought one from the Raquel Welch line. Ugh... Was that a mistake. It has so much hair it's ridiculous. I wore it 3 times because it was one of those situations when wearing your full coverage hat is frowned upon. And all i wanted to do is rip it off and throw it away! So once again I'm looking for a wig hoping not to spend as much as I did the last time. I have a dinner date with my husband, his sister and her husband. So wearing my beanie is out of the question. It's a fancy restaurant and I'm regretting having to go but oh well. Life goes on with or without hair. Right?
  2. blythe

blythe New Member

Meta . . There ARE wigs that don't have too much hair on them but they are few and hard to find. I am not wearing a full one yet, but found one for later in a wig store where they ordered in my color. She does not do online orders darn it. I did see one on the site midnite gave us called Paula Young. I don't remember the name of it, but after talking to her, I bet there is one to find there.

I wear hats as well but have been since I was young so they are natural to me. ( I was a cowboy, even thoug I was a girl) But I didn't HAVE to and now it's different. Headbands help hair stay down and in place with a wig or hair piece. And if it's only the top that has too much hair you can wear a hat with it and look fashionable. A good hairdresser should be able to thin it a bit. I had a real hair wig that no matter what they did, there was too much hair to thin, but synthetic hair should be easier.

Blythe
  3. blythe

blythe New Member

WOOPS, I goofed my reply. I meant to say I don't remember the exact one I saw on the Paula Young site that looked like it has less hair than most. It's worth a look.
  4. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Okay Meta,
    I'm starting to think I sound like a broken record, as I've seen many women having trouble finding a wig that isn't overly full of hair. I go to PaulaYoung.com. While there...look at all of the "Jacyln Smith" line. Her wigs & pieces are much thinner & I find they match my naturally thin hair perfectly. I own several of them & have worn them all with no problems. I mostly wear her "Micki" style piece because I prefer to use a piece rather than a wig. I trim it about 3 or 4 inches off the bottom & wear it upside down. It looks sort of like a "bob" style, but pulled up a bit. It's longer & wavier if U wear it the regular way. I also wear a scarf around my head which helps it stay on better & hides where it attaches too. I put my own hair up in a pin-curl with a bobby pin. Then attach the piece's comb under that. I then take a narrow piece of wig hair & bobby pin it to the scarf & my head. One on each side & I am all set to go. People cannot tell I'm wearing a piece at all. They just think I have gorgeous hair !! Her colors are great too. If your not sure which to order, order a sample wheel of hair in near your natural color. Then you'll have a better idea of what U want. I use her Caramel Brown or her Mix of Golden Brown & light brown, ( I think that's what it is ) The color numbers are #8/27, or #8/12a. I think those are it. She has several new colors too & her reds are really nice. I can't wear blondes but if I could I know they're great also. They also have "frosteds" if U like those. She has a large selection & they are reasonably priced, especially if U go to "Retailme.not.com to find a coupon for them.
    I know I sound like I must have stock in the company but I don't. Just sharing my experiences. They also sell what they call "feather lite" wigs & pieces & they are nice too. Much less hair on them & very natural feeling & looking. I prefer the acrylics to the human hair too. Human hair has always come to me too thick & they are hard to keep a style in; not to mention, expensive. The acrylics stay nice, even in the rain. I wash mine out after about every 10 to 20 wearings, depending. I just use regular shampoo diluted with water, dunk my pieces in it several times & squeeze the shampoo thru it gently, then rinse & blot in a towel for about 3 minutes. Then lay it out on the towel overnight & they are ready to go again. I also use regualr conditioner in them. I like it to keep the softness in it, & keep tangles out.
    I used to buy the special cleaners, but I don't find them necessary. I will buy the wig hairspray however. It doesn't make them dirty as fast.
    I think U might be pleased if U try them. Go out & shop. Then go to your dinner date & enjoy the compliments !!
    Best of luck to U too. I hope U find something your happy with. I have a feeling your friends & family will forget it isn't your own hair. I've been wearing mine for many years. I use the coupons & wait for sales. Then I stock up & I always keep an extra of my favorite in case I haven't had a chance to clean it yet. It helps to alternate also, so they last longer.
    I prefer the type of pieces that attach with the stretch combs. I find them more secure on my thin hair. But also because the ones that attach with a butterfly clip hurt my head & I can't lie back with it on. My "combs" are so comfortable that I actually sleep in them !!
    By the way...they also carry headbands with attached hair that are easy as pie to wear. Go take a look. It can't hurt.
  5. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

By the way. I forgot to mention that in the beginning of buying wigs, I also got a Rachel Welch one. It sat in the closet & I never wore it. Too think on me too !!
  6. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Yes...life does go on with or without a wig, but it sure makes it less embarrassing if U have something to cover up what's missing.
    Your very welcome & as you'll find on this site, we are all in a similar situation, so don't give up !!
    I'm glad U have an appt. I hope it's with an Endocrinologist who cares. Some could care less that your a devastated woman who's losing her hair. If the doctor doesn't care, find another if U can. They do have ones who know what they're doing. I hope they can be found where U are. Let us know what happens at the doc. We're interested !!
  7. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Blythe, Is there any way your salon person can take U to a seat that isn't out in the open ? Maybe she could work on your hair over by the shampoo area instead of in the regular styling chairs. Or if your close to your stylist...maybe U could ask her to come to your home to do your hair ? Just give her a better tip. I would be so embarrassed if I still went to a salon. But I've been doing my own hair for many years now. I remember even when my hair was only thin, how embarrassed I was. I can't imagine how I'd feel now with this problem being as bad as it is.
    When my daughter got married a few years back, I went to the salon with her & her sister to all get our hair done for the wedding. I brought my add on pieces with me & the girl did a good job adding them to my "updo". I was glad we were the only clients in the salon tho. By the time anybody else came in, my pieces were already on my head !!
  8. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

By the way...I haven't found out how the "friending" works yet. I'm not so computer savvy either !! But if I do find out, I'll sure let U know asap.
  9. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Hey girl,
    Okay...Think I found out about the befriending so here's my ASAP.
    Found out about a little more too.

I tried to send U a private message but U are blocking all private messages thru your profile. If U want to carry thru the friend request I sent U, also... I think U have to go into your profile to find it & check off that U accept it in there. While in there...U can also allow private messages & accept them ONLY from "Contacts & Friends". That way U won't get bombarded from everybody on the site. Only those U want to be messaged from.
    Once U get into your profile, look on the left column & you'll see your control panel. U can make choices from there. This was my 1st try & it went pretty well. I even had an entire private message done, but when I sent it, I got the message that U don't accept private messages, so had to delete it. It's up to U if U want to keep it that way or change it. I'm only trying to let U know how to do it if U want to. Okay ?

I think I've been accurate. I guess trying it out is the only way to really know.
    I really don't want U to quit. I feel we have a lot of stuff in common.
    If I don't get any answer...I'll assume U decided to not do posts or messages anymore. But I'll be sad. ;o(

THIS message is NOT private. Had to send it this way, because of your personal settings on your profile page. I hope nobody feels insulted by it. It's not because I won't post with anyone, anymore. I will still do that.

Once U allow private messages, Blythe... U can find a way to exchange emails privately, if U want. I think U can do it by attaching a link. Just hover your cursor over the little pictures on the top of the post box. One of them will tell U to add a link to your message & you'll have to click on that & add your email to it.
    (A box should pop up for U to type in your email link.)

If your too uncomfortable doing that, U can still just accept stuff from me....& U don't have to give out your email at all.

A private message stays on the site somewhere, (I think.) I'd prefer to go thru email for some things. I also figured if we did the private message thing, we could delete it as soon as it was read. That way it won't stay on the site anywhere. ( I hope )

Up to U. I know your not experienced too much on the PC. But this isn't too hard to understand if U stop & read stuff 1st & sort of follow my instructions. lol
    ( I just hope they're right...)
    Sometimes...No. lots of times, I say stuff that makes no sense to others but makes all the sense to me !! (Hugs)
  10. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Meta,
    I just realized your next appt. is with more Dermatologists. They may be enough & may be very good, but have U considered seeing a Endocrinologist?
    With the fact that U had several miscarriages so close together, I would wonder if U have some internal backfires going on ? Might be something hormonal that can be fixed somehow.
    I'm not a doctor in any way, shape or form. I'm just concerned for U. And I would have more trust in an Endocrinologist. That's who I plan on seeing soon, once I can get an appt. Think about it & read up on it for yourself.
  11. TaniaB

TaniaB New Member

Meta there are places which make wigs that are custom made and you can control the density of it. I can email you some site which offer review on wigs they have brought.If you are looking for a hair stylist I can check with my fellow alopecians in the us if they can recommend you someone? Or you can ask them at www.*************.com And you can check www.naaf.org for support groups in your area. There are tons of people with hair loss all over the world. I have met some of them .All for them going through similar experiences and feelings. Doctors are useless to be honest in the 15 years I had hair loss they could never figure out what is wrong.You aren't alone there are many people with hair loss from all corners of the globe.From Uk to australia.US as well. And you are beautiful and you aren't alone :D And go lucky for your appointment!!! hugs to everyone Ever tried going to the naaf convention anyone? its in washington dc in june this year? you get to meet tons of alopecians and people suffering from hair loss. Check www.naaf.org for details.
  12. TaniaB

TaniaB New Member

I mean google alopecia world?
  13. Meta

Meta New Member

Today was the day that I met with the university of Penn doctors. I was officially diagnosed with alopecia universalis. I think I knew it all along but was hopeful for a better outcome. I feel kinda at a loss. What do I do now? How do I start to become me again?
  14. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Now that U have a diagnosis, Meta, did they suggest anything for U to do about it ?
    I'm not positive where U were on the scale with your hair loss, but I think U were suffering with major hair loss as I am. I know it's very discouraging to not be told that your hair will be coming back in a few months, so just go & get yourself some Minoxidil & hope for the best. I'm assuming this is all they gave U for information. I know when I went to the Dermatologist years ago, that's what they told me.
    Of course I tried it, but I lost patience with it & I didn't like the inconvenience of it dripping down my neck & leaving it sticky every time I sweat. I also hated the fact that I had to wash & restyle hair up to 3 times a day because of it. Not to mention changing the sheets a lot too.

I've yet to get an appt. with an Endocrinologist, but my intentions are to be there asap.
    I finally finished getting my deductible covered, so now I can go in.
    Please let me know what they told U there.
    I know how devastating losing our hair is as a woman. We must find a way to deal with it, so we can go back to feeling more like ourselves.
    As far as I know...it happens to us from all sorts of reasons. And I'm not sure that knowing what it's from even helps.

I have not found any other group that supports women with hair loss. But at least I am grateful that my partner is very understanding & supportive of me. I'm still very embarrassed, but the support helps some. He even prefers a woman who wears hats. It's me who has the problem with it.

If I'm given another poor prognosis, I will likely try going in for transplants. For me, it will take a lot of them & I know they don't tell U it's as possible to be successful if your hair loss is that severe.
    I really don't want to go thru all of this, only to find out it isn't going to take hold & stay there.
    Besides that...it is very expensive. And when U need a lot, it sometimes isn't possible to be done. After all, they need to find enough hair left on other areas of your head in order to transplant them. I'm not sure that I have enough.
  15. Meta

Meta New Member

midnite113, I have total hair loss (it's so weird to say that just a year ago I had long curly hair) but whatever. The dermatologist offered me some suggestions like tattooing the eyebrows, finding a prosthesis wig things like that. She basically said that it is possible my hair might grow back but she rarely sees it. I never heard of an endocrinologist ( I will be googling it as soon as I'm done here) but I feel like my diagnoses is final. I mean what else could they do. If there was a cure this site wouldn't exist. Maybe there's an answer but as of right now I feel defeated.
    I always thought that rogaine only saves the hairs that you have. I have no hairs to be saved.
    If you don't mind me asking what kind of hats do you wear? I wear full coverage hats from head covers.com Just wondering if there was something that I'm missing out on. My husband would prefer I wear a wig. I'm just not there yet. I saw a woman wearing beautiful scarf around her head and thought to myself that I liked the look so I thought about doing that. I just wish that I wouldn't be mistaken for a person with cancer. Not that I'm saying bad things about women who have cancer. I just don't have cancer and don't want people to be misunderstood. So I guess that's when wigs come into play.
    With time this will get easier hopefully I will adapt to this life style. But as of right now my white flag is up and I'm learning to deal.
    P.s. Talking to you and other women from this site helps so much. So I thank you for replying to my post. It's been a rough 2 days and coming here just makes me feel human. I'm not the only one.
  16. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

U are so terribly right to feel the way U do. And I am glad if anything I say can help. Thanks for reminding me what your hair loss was. I guess I would feel like U about the diagnosis being "it". How did the doctor know that's what it was ? Did they do a blood test ? A biopsy ?
    Yes, Minoxidil is used a lot for maintaining the hair U have. But it's also used to regrow hair, if your lucky ? It takes a lot of patience, however. I don't know anyone who has had results in a short time. Especially if they have entire hair loss. Wow, this must feel very discouraging for U. I don't have total hair loss, but I'm awfully close. I have a closet full of different wigs that only on occasion, I will wear. I truly dislike them. I just don't feel like they look natural, even tho I know they actually do.
    I'm such a casual person, that anything like a wig feels foreign to me. They're pretty tho. Don't misunderstand me. I just feel fear of them falling off or being itchy all day long. They look pretty good on me, to tell U the truth. But because I don't want to use glue of any kind, they do slip. If I use hair clips or a headband with them, they stay on fairly well. Or if I wear a hat with them, they're okay. I'm not crazy about having a hat on either. I think it makes people stare at me. Don't like being gawked at.
    I've looked for those pretty head scarves but haven't found the ones I like yet. I did try using a regular square scarf & wrapping it around my head a couple of times to get the look of it & it came out fairly nice. And it was comfortable too. But...I was in home depot wearing it & 2 little girls started to laugh at me. I don't know exactly why. Maybe they thought I was a Muslim or something ? Their dad apologized to me. He got embarrassed. I was insulted, however & haven't worn another since. I wonder how they would've reacted if I was standing there with no hair ?
    I saw a very brave woman one day in my grocery store, who was walking thru the store with nothing on her head but the sparse hair she had left. It was cut very short, but looked decent on her. I would not be so brave, ever !! Wish I could be, tho.

Yes, the good part about this site, is that we do know we are not alone. But I still wish more people were aware of how many of us suffer with this. Most people do think we must be on chemo to be bald. How do we explain it to people ? Especially when we're not even sure why we have it ?
    Does it run in your family, Meta ? The females in my family all have strongly thinning hair. I think my hair loss is worse than any of them. Then again, I'm on multiple meds, etc. too. Plus, I happen to be under more stress than they've been.

I hope to find out exactly the reason for my hair loss soon, to see if there is anything I can try to make it grow back.
    An Endocrinologist tests your blood & goes deeper into checking out Thyroid disease, etc.. Since I feel that I have some symptoms that could be attributed to that, I really want it checked out. And an Endocrinologist is the one to do it. I hope the answer I get after testing.... is not only to try Minoxidil.
    I tried it, but the stickiness was horrifying for me. With only strings of hair left on my head, it made it look so much worse. Maybe I should have worn a wig or scarf over it while I used it ? I didn't think about it at the time tho, because I had enuff hair to get away with not. (If it was dry & styled )

Have U gone to a makeup artist at all...to help U learn how to put on fake brows & such ? I think I would try that. Maybe one of the dept. stores could do it ? As long as they don't do it for U in the public eye, that is..I saw a Meryl Norman studio in the Mall & I think they can take U into a more private room to help U. I don't know if there are any near U, tho. It may be worth checking out, if your so interested.

I also have a nearby wig salon who helps a lot of women with hair loss. They help fit U & trim your wig, etc. But only if U buy theirs. I buy all my wigs from Paula Young .com. I like their styles & they have reasonable prices. Of course I've had to take chances on which ones I chose, but I didn't have to send too many back while I tried them on. Most only needed some bang trimming & I felt I could manage that myself. I like the acrylic ones better than human hair. They hold a style better & don't get frizzy in the rain either. They look very natural these days, too. Many, many colors to choose from also. A lot of mixed colors that are beautiful !! They are more natural looking than ever.
    I wear an acrylic, mixed color piece at the moment & I even wear it to bed. When I get up, I just give it a quick brush & I'm ready for the next day. That's how easy it is for me. A full wig may likely be more work, tho.
    Let yourself go & try some wigs on. See if U think they look natural on U. They have greatly improved over the years. Really they have. And the selection has grown tremendously. U said U had curly hair, right ? The curly hair styles seem to look more natural to me. And they are super easy to style, too. I think U should try some. Then when U find one U really like....get 2 of them so U can wash one while U wear the other.
    U know Meta....many actresses & black women absolutely LOVE their wigs !!
    If they can feel this way about them, why can't we ? This is the one thing that helps me feel a little differently about putting on a wig. I just try to think of that.

I'm sure U are a beautiful woman, Meta. It's just going to take U some time to figure out what U want to do about the loss of facial hair, so U can appear to have some. The head hair will be easier, I think.
    But for sure.....U are NOT the only one !!! We may all be at different stages & have different degrees of hair loss, but we are all suffering a loss of gigantic proportions.

What a mean trick to play on us....taking away our crowning glory !!
    I pray for a miracle or U. For all of us, that we'll all be able to grow our hair back. It's so depressing to look into that mirror & see this every day. I'm trying to see my face only & tell myself how beautiful I really am....but it's hard. I know it is. Then add to that the fact that I'm getting older & seeing some wrinkles & Ugh !!
    I hope I don't have to wait too long to get into a Endocrinologist's office. And I hope the testing doesn't take too long either. I can't wait to hear the reason why this has happened to me & if there's anything I'll be able to do about it, with good results.
    As soon as I get there, I will definitely let U know. I'm sure I'll tell all of U. We have to stick together with this. Who else is going to support us ?
    I'm so glad this site is here. I will always give my support to anybody who wants it. And if I can help, even if in only some slight way, then I'm going to do it.
    I wish I was a specialist in hair loss. Then I could help even more !!
  17. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Oh my God....I typed way too much !!! LOL
    Sorry.
  18. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

The Alopecia U have been diagnosed with is not U. It is only a part of U now. And hopefully one day, it will be a past part of U. Don't give up hope. We're all here for support.
  19. TaniaB

TaniaB New Member

Is there any way I can delete this thing? Or do people still want to read this post?
  20. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

I think so Tania

If U want to delete a post, I think U can click on "userCP" on the right side, then check the list on the left side until U find which one will delete it.
    I'm not positive it will work, but it looks like it might. Good Luck !! :>