Nuvaring woes..Minoxidil combo bad idea?

Discussion in 'Oral Contraceptives' started by hillsofspain, Nov 25, 2012.

1. hillsofspain

hillsofspain New Member

Dear all,

It's wonderful to find a place where I can talk about this openly. What a relief to know that I'm not the only one.

So I'm a 26 year-old female who has no history of female-pattern balding in my family. I've always had thin/fine hair but recently it's become a problem. Currently I'm living in Spain for the year to improve my Spanish skills. When I first arrived two months ago it had been 1 month since I had stopped taking the Nuvaring, and just like it's been reported by so many other women, I started losing tons of hair. I attributed it to the stress and the hormonal changes from the lack of BC hormones which seems to have been accurate. But before finding this forum I went through the hassle of going to the doctor to get a nuvaring prescription again, not knowing that it may have been the cause of the thinning in the first place. Since the doctors here don't seem to be very knowledgeable about specific issues such as this, and since I don't have the language skills to go on my own to a doctor to describe my issue (and don't want to ask my boss to come with me), I feel I should just stay on the Nuvaring for the rest of the year until I get back to the states.

So I have a few questions about what to do next:

1. Have any women who went BACK ON the Nuvaring had an increase in hair growth, or is the hair loss, if untreated, permanent?

2. Is it a bad idea to start taking minodoxil? I am a very active person and honestly don't want to commit to a lifetime of morning-night applications.. but I will do it for a year, IF it doesn't increase the hair loss when I stop. I know it stops working when you stop taking it, but does it do any more damage to the other hair follicles?

3. For the women who went OFF the Nuvaring, permanently, did your hair shedding stop after the initial 2 months, or has it continued? If it stopped and hair grew back, WHAT DID YOU DO??

Lovely to find all of you. We are in this together, and I am hopeful that, with the increasingly receptive climate towards women's issues, we will have a proper treatment in the future to deal with this. Or, better yet, the MEN will take the birth control.