Overcoming low iron

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Like, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Like

Like New Member

Hello,

I've been really happy these past few weeks. I feel like something is finally working to reduce my hair shedding. I finally found a doctor in past month or so who took my hair loss concerns seriously. If you haven't yet found a good doctor who will listen to you, visit the American Academy of Dermatology Web site to find a doctor in your area who specializes in hair problems. That is what I did. Anyway, my ferritin was somewhat low, at 35. And my hair was shedding quite a bit everyday. My doctor put me on iron supplements (Feosol) once a day and I think this helped. But I also noticed that the shedding slowed down quite a bit when I ate red meat/protein. So, besides taking the supplement, I'm also watching my diet to make sure to include protein more often. I was not a vegetarian, but wasn't much of a meat eater either. The other things that I think are helping my hair look better is biotin and rogaine (2%), which I use once a day. I'm taking 4,000 mcg a day. So, anyway, just thought I'd write to give others some hope.
    Good luck and happy new year everyone!
    Ponygirl likes this.
  2. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

Thank you for posting this! I'm so glad to hear it's working for you. Me ferritin has gone up too because I've been taking ferrous sulfate. I try to eat more protein, but I'm not too good about that, so I'm faithfuol about taking the ferritin.
    Good luck to you too!
  3. catherine1

catherine1 New Member

Awesome news. My Ferritin was only 28. That with hypothyroid caused my hair loss. I think I am nearing the end now. I too take Iron 300mg daily as well as Dessicated thyroid.

In the last few wks I have had almost no hair loss. But, it did take approx. 4 months of medications and I understand, with some, it can take even longer.

Good to hear your great news. Thank god for Iron supplements. :)
    Ponygirl likes this.