Please help!

Discussion in 'Rogaine (Minoxidil)' started by Badeb, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Badeb

Badeb New Member

I didn't get any responses to my first posting so please just give me your opinion on this one issue. I truly have no one else to turn to. I just began rogaine 5 percent in accordance with my docs instructions --once in the morning and once at night. This was just 4 days ago. The rogaine makes my hair terribly stiff and greasy looking. This evening I washed my hair first and applied it while my hair was just towel dried and then applied gel and blew it dry and it looks much better! Is it okay to apply while hair is wet? And most importantly ( sorry, I know I said one question), if I ever in my life go off the rogaine, will my hair be worse than it is now due to the expected shed?

I am struggling with whether I can keep this up for the rest of my life. What if it does work and my hair gets better in 6 months or so -- can I gradually stop the rogaine or will I lose every gain? I just keep worrying about this issue. Thanks for any input or opinion. Guess I just don't understand the process yet as I have not spoken to anyone but my derm about my hair loss!
  2. shasha1

shasha1 Member

Hi, from all the research I've done on Rogaine, I heard you have to be on it forever. Once you stop using it, you will lose all the hair gained from the product and from all the stories I've read from people who tried getting off it, their hairloss/shedding became worse when coming off it. So, if you're ready to make the committment then you can atleast keep some of your hair IF it works for you. And to answer your question, from what I know you must use rogaine on dry hair. For this reason, I never started rogaine. I think I used the 2% solution for a week and was like heck no, this just won't work. It just doesn't seem worth the hassle and gross greasiness to retain a few hairs. I'm not sure though, maybe some have had great success and many have had none. I don't see the cost benefit of using it for myself. But those that have managed to keep their hair by using it may have a different opinion.

The only time I heard that you can use Rogaine temporarily is if you have temporary telogen effluvium. Hairloss < 6 months due to a stressor. It can help re-grow the hair faster (even then I wouldn't use it)
  3. Badeb

Badeb New Member

Hi Shasha,
    I agree with everything you've said. I did buy the 5% solution and began using it twice a day about five days ago. It really did make a mess of my hair. I have diffuse hair loss which means I should use it all over my scalp. It is impossible not to get it in my hair, plus I am using so much of it. Yesterday morning I decided to only use it once a day and did it last evening after I washed and towel dried my hair. I then blew it dry and my hair looked quite good other than where I must have really saturated my bangs as I couldn't even get them dry! However, maybe I get no benefit since my hair was wet and the hair blower maybe isn't the best thing for rogaine either!
    I am still trying to decide what to do. I am post menopausal and my mom had thin hair too. When she passed at 89, her hair had turned white and was actually quite pretty, although thin, but no bald spots. The doctor told me genetics is the biggest factor in my case, although I did get six tubes of blood drawn so he could rule out thyroid, iron, etc. Said if I don't hear from them, all is well with the labs. Said Rogaine and finasteride are the only things that may work for me. Said try them for 6 months and I would have an 80% chance of more hair growth. At the time, in my ignorance, I was excited that there was something that might work. Now, with the reading I've done, I am second guessing his call.
    My friend, who had a very serious illness, experienced overall hair loss as well as bald spots on the back of her head. This same doc prescribed rogaine for her too plus some other vitamins and meds and her hair did absolutely grow back. I guess that must be the telogen effluviam. I'm so sorry to ramble on but this hair loss thing is hitting me like a ton of bricks.
    Thank you so much for your perspective. I appreciate it so much.
  4. Kip

Kip New Member

I was going to recommend that you only use it once a day. And can you possibly just apply it at night to your dry hair then wash it the next morning?

I have used 2% for 2 years now and only use at night. I have had good results from this. I definitely would cut yours down to once a day especially if you are using 5% formula. And yes you will need to continue to use Rogaine for the rest of your life to maintain your hair or until God reveals another answer to the medical community :). I even tried to cut down to every other night with my 2% and noticed a difference now I'm back to at least 5-6 nights a week.

Hope this helps.