Please some input from you...

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by RLL, Sep 24, 2009.

1. RLL

RLL New Member

Hello,;)
    I am here like the rest of you wonderful ladies trying to find answers to my hair shedding/loss. I have a few ideas after months of research but really don't know what to do. Let me start by explaining my situation. Two years ago my husband retired from the military after 22 years and we came back to the states as we were overseas. My daughter entered the military, my husband received a job offer back overseas and returned without me. ( Let me say we have a wonderful relationship, no problems there.) We had started building a new home back where I grew up. I stayed with my parents raising my two boys. The house was stressful enough being built, but my sons were shy in the community and also I was away from my husband. Everything was fine though, just rough and no hair loss. (I was on accutane for the 3rd time though, started in Nov. '07. I never had any side effects and no prior hair loss but summer shedding. I had a full hystorectomy 11 years ago and been on Premarin for that time so unsure about hormone issue connection. )New Years '08 I got a terrible sore and ulcered throat. I went to the Dr. and I was put on antibiotics but it still took 7 days to be able to eat anything but broth or get out of bed long. I healed up and everything seemed fine. I moved into my house in March 08 and started losing hair. Also I finished my Accutane at that time. I just keep losing hair when I shower, during the day and all the time. I try to put it down to the water softener, or taking sleep aids, stress being away from my husband. Maybe it is the accutane, Vitamin A overdose. My head itches more than it used to, and seems like when it itches I lose hair. Anyways I keep telling myself it will stop but no luck... I stopped the sleep aid 2 days ago. I have been to the DR. twice for hair loss. They keep saying stress. I had blood test a year ago everything was fine. Just manage your stress. I was tested a month ago again and thyroid was off so they did another test and then they said it was normal. I was put on an anti-depressant that can cause hair loss, but I tried it. I could not use the potty so I ended that after a few days of horror. :eek:Anyways I try to think it is the stress and the sickness but would I still be losing this long after? I do still have hair, just getting thinner. Also I have new growth but that seems to be falling out too at about 2-3 inches. I do have the follicle on the end of each hair I lose and I seem to be losing everywhere. My hair is long and ponytail looks narrow. I have no bald areas yet.... I know I sound crazy but I know how you all feel. This is so frustrating. Should I go to a Dr. I did ask my dermatologist about it and she said the loss would end, but that was 9 months ago. Any help is appreciated and thank you for letting me unload. :>
  2. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this. So many of us have been told that the hairloss would stop, but it hasn't. Too many of us don't have answers, either. Our bloodwork comes back fin, we don't seem to neatly fit any of the hairloss patterns...it's beyond frustrating. You've certainly had a lot going on in the last few years!
    Another member had posted something here wondering if her sleep aid was causing/aggravating her shedding. I take one too. I tried to stop taking it, but that didn't last too long!
    And to answer one of your questions -I would go back to that doctor, let her know it hasn't stopped after all this time. Hopefully she'll really listen to you.
    And you definitely don't sound crazy. We all have different degrees of hairloss.
    Good luck.
  3. RLL

RLL New Member

Hello,
    Thank you for the encouragment. I actually wondered about the sleep aid and have stopped it for this reason. I still had the itching lastnight so maybe it is my well water and softener? We drilled 409 ft for our well here but water seems great. I did call the Dr. office today. I have an appt. on 15 Oct. for a test for the cause. Since I have been losing for so long I hope they find a cause. I lost around 100 hairs this morning, finally counted and that seemed like a smaller ball than usual. I will try vitamins, biotin and calcium with D again. I eat tons of fresh spinach because I cannot do the iron. I also take a herbal to to regulate me and have for a long time. I don't see a connection there though because of how long I have taken it and never had a problem before. I have also tried the acid for your stomach to help break food down better for more nutrients. I eat very little protein, but I try to get it in cereals and drinks that have it. As I start to try to find answers it is becoming increasingly stressful. At times I just want to cut it all off and be one. Guys can shave their head and look great but women ...... what more can I say. Well I will update after I get the results for the test I just hope it isn't permanent. Hair loss doesn't run in my family at all. Thanks again and your response was very appreciated.
  4. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

You're very welcome.
    A friend recommended B-complex vitamins, I take those too. I don't know how many things I've tried since this started!! I'm glad you got the appointment, I hope they find something so they can treat it.
  5. RLL

RLL New Member

Has anything helped you? I was taking B complex for a long time and ... I just hope it is the stress, I am sure everyone feels that way though.
  6. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

Honestly, nothing has helped me, but I try almost everything that gets recommended because I'm ever hopeful!
  7. Walnut

Walnut New Member

Just posted it on another link, but in case you dont read it-there is a really good book on high quality ebook. com im starting reading it right now...so far so good...looks like it can actually help...
    I hope it can help you too!
    Best of Luck!
  8. RLL

RLL New Member

I have to say this weekend I started using my sons Head and Shoulders for dry scalp because it said it helps itching. It does seem to have made a difference some. I will check my blood work again as maybe there is something there. Also started Vit D, multivitamin and Biotin 5000mg.