Problems with tape/adhesive

Discussion in 'Wigs and Toppers' started by newyorker, Feb 6, 2011.

1. newyorker

newyorker New Member

A few months ago I started using tape in the front of my hairpiece (clips on the side and back) and it's been a great because I don't have to have bangs in front any longer. I've tried 3 different kinds of tape and they all have the same problem: if I sweat a little bit, the tape loses stickiness. I've started to use a drying spray before I put the piece on and it does the trick most (not all) of the time, but I'm very concerned about what to do once it gets very warm out. Any idea here? Thanks in advance.
  2. SusanF

SusanF New Member

Are you taping over hair or are you taping to your scalp? Are you re-taping daily? How are you prepping the area you are taping to?
  3. newyorker

newyorker New Member

Hi Susan - I'm taping over hair, although I shaved the spot a little in order to make it easier to remove the tape. I'm retaping every day (sometimes I can get 2 days out of a piece of tape but I take it off at night). I started using a spray on that spot to reduce the sweating (Pro Touch?), and it works most of the time, but I'm very worried about what will happen in warmer weather. Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.
  4. SusanF

SusanF New Member

Hi Newyorker-
    I don't tape over hair, I shave the whole top and bond around the entire perimeter. But I can tell you that tape really requires a very well-prepared bonding area. That means the area needs to be cleaned daily with a soap that will not leave residue behind, no conditioners in that area and you should scrub it with an exfoliating cloth as well. Many of us who do bonding actually use Dawn dish soap to prep clean the scalp because it cuts any oil and has no lotions or softeners in it. You can also use a scalp scrub created for this purpose but I think it could be a little difficult for you since you have most of your hair still.

ProTouch is a brand name. Are you referring to No Sweat? No Sweat is a great scaplp protection product and I use that as well, but you only need a tiny bit. Using too much No Sweat can actually compromise the bond. Spray one pump on a lint-free cloth and give it a quick swipe in the bonding area. Those were the instructions I got directly from the manufacturer.

Also, tapes aren't really meant to be reused. So when you remove the tape from your scalp at the end of the day, it's been compromised. If you are having bonding issues, it's best to replace the tape every day.

Also, anywhere the tape overlaps your hair, it will not stick usually for more that a few hours.

So usually, scalp prep is the first thing to address.

Hope that helps a little.