questions about rogaine

Discussion in 'Rogaine (Minoxidil)' started by Tiny, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Tiny

Tiny Member

have a few questions about rogaine? How long has anyone person been on it and what was your experience with the shedding and the regrowth? did it make your hair look greasy? did it dry out your hair because of the alchol? The package says it may make your hair look rough, did anyone have that experience during the regrowth phase? Did anyone have great success with it? My hair has been thinning for a few years now, I do see regrowth but my top crown area(bang area) is so thin. I've been using a product through a local salon here plus taking vitamins but just not getting the results. I have to apply it morning and evening so I' used to a routine, but scared about committing to rogaine if nobody has had great results from the product. So if anyone has stories to share I would love to hear from you. Thanks, Tiny
  2. AMD53

AMD53 New Member

Rogaine Use

I used Minoxidil for many years - 6-7 with good results (the women's). My dermatologist decided to put me on the men's formula last August and I had a terrible reaction to it - horrible scalp irritation, open sores, bad bad dandruff AND I had red crusty patches on my upper and lower eyelids. Needless to say, I HAD to get off it it (that was in March of this year). I tried to get back on the women's, but my scalp was in such bad shape that I had to give it a break. UNFORTUNATELY, when you stop using minoxidil - any/all progress you've made will go away - and it did in my case - I believe I've lost 1/2 of my hair in July/August. Very very traumatic... I ended up going to another dermatologist and was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia. I really am unsure of what to do now. My scalp seems to be healing, but I'm afraid of going back on the minoxidil because of the so-called "dread shed".... I had a lot of hair to spare before - now, not so much.... So, I have some tough decisions to make. I am also afraid of having another reaction to the women's formula - and if I do, how much more hair will I lose because I have discontinued the product?... Ugh, I wish to God this was a horrible nightmare and I'd just wake up.... Good Luck to you - as I said I had good results with the women's formula - and some women have no problem with the men's... Take care!!
  3. Tiny

Tiny Member

Thank ou AMD53 for your post. Why would your derm switch you to the mens rogaine when the womens rogaine was working for you? now it sounds like you have some major problems, so sorry. When you first started the womens rogaine did you have alot of shedding? Did your hair become dry and brittle from the alcohol in womens rogaine? during the regrowth process did you see a change in your hair, texture, problems with styling? My hair is thin but im told I still have alot of hair, I dont see it that way especially in my crown, side areas. Just trying to get some input on a few things. Thanks for anything you can add. Hope things go well your way. Tiny
  4. AMD53

AMD53 New Member

Hi Tiny: THAT is a good question - I certainly WISH he had not switched me - like I said, I was doing "very well" and he also said I was doing very well - those were his exact words. The only other question he asked me is if I was done having children - at age 52, I definitely was done... Other than that - he said "we will switch you to the men's formula." He didn't tell me what the possible side effects could be - I never would have switched. My hair was doing just great. I look back on pictures from just six months ago and I feel like I'm going to be sick... I know there are women who do get on the men's formula and do just fine - I obviously was not one of them... BUT, I can keep looking back or move forward to what I have to decide now... I truly am not sure what to do. One thing I did forget to mention - I was on Prilosec for 8 years and my hairloss began at that time. This medication DOES cause hairloss (for me, it did). My son was on it and he could not believe the hair he was losing... My sister was on Prevacid and could not believe the hair SHE was losing. These medications are called PPI's (Proton Pump Inhibitors). I had to get off the Prilosec because of the recent FDA warning due to hip fracture. These meds. prevent your body from absorbing vitamins and nutrients - THEREFORE, your hair and your bones can suffer. I HAVE noticed a bit of regrowth on the top of my head (one can only hope) AND also other parts of my body that had hardly any hair growth (my arms now have hair!!) My eyebrows are filling in, where before they were a bit sparce. ANYWAY, I'm hoping some of it will grow back - even though I was diagnosed with AGA, I'm hoping some of my hair will return.... We'll have to wait & see. For now, I am a bit reluctant to go back on the minoxidil for fear of the shedding. I have to be honest with you, Tiny - I don't remember shedding a lot when I first started minoxidil - it was 6-7 years ago and I had much more hair then and probably wouldn't have noticed - NOW, I can't say that - so I really have to think about starting it again. AND with the little bit of growth I'm seeing - maybe it was partly the Prilosec.... To answer your other question - no my hair wasn't dry or brittle. BUT, I used to put it on after my shower (when my head was wet) - THEN I would dry my hair right away... I didn't realize after reading about minoxidil that you were supposed to put it on a DRY scalp - I never did. BUT, if you decide to go that route - read all directions and follow them... Good Luck, Tiny and thanks for the good thoughts.... God Bless
  5. srmdwm

srmdwm New Member

many years of rogaine

I have been using women's rogaine for over ten years! I recently switched to the men's version and I have noticed itchy scalp and brittle hair but I have stayed the course. Fish oil seems to help and I found a sulfate free shampoo and hair oil I use that is wonderful. I use saw palmetto and it has stopped the shedding. I just started on iron and l-lysine today so we will see how that goes. I'm so happy to talk to others that have the same issues I have!

6. Tiny

Tiny Member

Thanks for responding, I hadn't heard a reply back in awhile so I didn't know if anyone even used this site anymore. I still haven't tried the rogaine yet. I'm waiting on a doctors appointment which is coming up at the end of this month to check out all hormone, thyroid, etc. To make sure its nothing medical. Then it will be to a derm. to discuss options. I don't think I will have a problem committing to the rogaine regimen because I apply the stuff I have now twice a day and have been doing that for the past 3-4 years. but I really havent seen any improvement, I just seem to be maintaining what I have. My crown (bang area) just never seems to get thicker. I'm going to hate that dread shed, I think that is going to be the worst, and Im scared to go through that part of it, wondering how thin my hair will get, ugh. How did your hair look when you did start getting new growth? did it look rough? did your hair texture change? did your hair feel dry because of the alcohol content in rogaine? I know that is a big complaint also. I did find a minoxidil creme, that has no alcohol content in it, but I don't know how that would work on applying it. That will be questions I would ask my Derm. I'm sorry to hear about your hair issues, that really sucks. Is your hair just thinning or do you have any bald patches? I hate going through this, I wish it was a bad dream also, and I could wake up and have beautiful hair again. Take care.
  7. Tiny

Tiny Member

Why did you both switch to the mens when the womens was working for you? you must have had to go through another dread shed by switching, did you?
  8. srmdwm

srmdwm New Member

Well I decided to switch hoping the stronger dose may help with more growth. No my hair didn't get brittle until recently and that could just be the weather or thyroid or iron. Most women that experience hair loss is due to low iron stores. It has to be over 70 to grow hair and over 40 to stop shedding. A lot of Drs will say your in "the normal" range if they are at 20. Fish oil really helps with the scalp dying out from rogaine and I would suggest saw palmetto and get the shedding to stop before the rogaine. The shed from rogaine lasts about two weeks. When I first started using it I noticed baby hairs after about two months. After using it for sometime I was only using it once a day or everyother day. I hope you find a solution. It does stink and I've shed a lot of tears over it. I was thin and diffusing all over and yes in the front. I'd wear my hair pushed back in headbands because that's the only way I could wear it. I'm still thin but grateful for what I have now. I'm hoping the iron and l lysine works. I have always had problems with my iron levels but never associated the two. I'm giving it a couple months then if no results I will get my thyroid checked. I went to a hormone clinic but they don't seem to think Its hormonal. I have dry skin nails wont grow hair loss trouble sleepmg just recently and fatigued midday. Then I read how huge the numbers were with iron deficiency and women's hairloss. I have high hopes this will work for me. Also I read to use sulfate free shampoos and I found some made from organix they also have an oil which I use less than a dime size and comb thru my hair and that has made a huge difference in the dryness. I hope this has helped at least a little. Please keep me posted on your progress
  9. Tiny

Tiny Member

Thanks srmdwm, it has helped. My hair is dry right now plus baby fine from all different lengths of my hair growing back in. I'm stressed because I'm not one to put my hair up, never have, so I deal with trying to style it the way I normally do and just see the frizz and unhealthy hair. I deep condition it once a week but then I deal with it looking flat... I know its not going to look healthy until all these hairs get to where they can be cut but it has been like 2 years and we still are waiting for my sides to reach my back. That is pretty much what we cut (the back), when I go to the hairdressers every 2 months. I feel that if I get on the rogaine then it will fill in and grow faster and I bring that up to my hairdresser every time but she keeps encouraging me to keep doing what I'm doing because she see's hair growth but its getting very discouraging. I wonder if she is just waiting for me to go to the doctors to find out if its not hormones, thyroid, etc. Well, my doctors appt will finally be here next Friday, so I will start getting some answers and then go from there. I'm also hoping that they would have something else for me to try besides the rogaine, I don't know if there is anything else. Most of the post I see on here, they say they went to the doctor's and they told them to get on rogaine. Good luck with your progress, it does help to talk with people going through the same thing.
  10. SadKitty

SadKitty New Member

I want to know more about the prilosec and hair loss connection, please. Where did you hear about this, and is it a fact? I've been on it for YEARS. Thank you so much for posting this. THIS is the kind of thing we find out when we come out of our living rooms and start discussing things.
  11. Tiny

Tiny Member

so, went to my doctors appointment last week, everything medical checked out perfect, Iron, Thyroid. She said I'm in perimenapausal and thats whats causing my hair issues. I asked if I should see a dermatoligist and she said "no", she said my hair looked thick to her. I suggested rogaine, she didn't seem to know too much about it, but said if I wanted to do it then just to use the 2%. I'm still undecided what I want to do!!! I did find a minoxidil creme on the website zooscape. It contains no alcohol. I do see that alot of women complain about the dryness. Is alcohol important for the minoxidil to work? Has anyone ever tried the creme? They also sell gel formula. Does minoxidil have to be applied to the top of the head or can it just be applied to my thinning area's which is my sides and frontal( bangs) ? of course I would add some to the top for that area, but does it have to be spread through the whole part area, because my back is fine. Just frontal. If anyone has answers to my questions, please let me know. Like I said I'm undecided yet as to what I really want to do, but would like some answers. Thanks
  12. SadKitty

SadKitty New Member

Hi - well, I think we all are so different, but sharing information helps in the long run. I went to Zooscape and I see the minoxidil cream and gel there. I've used the regular Rogaine 2% and 5% - the ones you use with the eye dropper - and they just seem to make my hair kind of dull looking and matted or oily. I think I'm too impatient to put it on carefully, and so I get it on too much of my hair along with the scalp.

So I finally coughed up the cash to pay for the Rogaine foam, and ladies, I am never going back!! It's easy to put on and spreads very well, and since it's a white foam, you can see it very well to spread it around. Plus, it seems to give my hair some body, like a mousse does, and I really need that. I use it on the entire top of my head, because I know I am getting thin on that entire area, even though it is not horribly bad yet.

I believe, according to one website, that the foam is better for sensitive scalps, and I don't want any itchy bumps. I haven't noticed any shedding yet, but it's only been about a month so far.

Just to make sure I don't get any itchy reactions, a half hour after I put the Rogaine Foam on, I spray that whole area with Tricomen Spray. It has "copper peptides" which makes it work like an antioxident, can thicken new hairs that come in, increase hair follicle size and heal scalp skin. I always use these 2 together (very costly, I'm afraid, but one bottle will last like 6 months) because it is like misting a sunburn with cool water - - feels wonderful and non-oily. Copper Peptides can supposedly relieve scalp irritation.

To answer your question about the 2% minox. A higher percentage of people get good results from the 5%, and after I tried the 2%, it didn't do hardly anything for me. But if 2% works for you, why bother going higher? I just hated the oily feeling.

Oh, and of course, put it anywhere on your head where you are getting thin - it will help you keep what you have!!

Good luck to you - and I'm sure hoping I grow some new hair this year, too! Here's the top of my head... [​IMG]
  13. Tiny

Tiny Member

thanks so much for the advice. good luck to you
  14. Tiny

Tiny Member

well, going to try the minoxidl 2% cream when it comes in from zooscape. Has anyone ever tried this cream? it contains no alcohol, which I would prefer that way I don't end up with a drying affect. If after a few months I don't see result I will switch to the 5%. I hope this stuff works,im so tired of fighting this hairloss battle.
  15. NYCGirlie

NYCGirlie New Member

Has anyone who has used minoxidil suffered from iron/anemia hair loss??? I have chornic TE due to low iron ferritin and am on iron supplements. My doctor also recommended using minoxidil (his own custom minoxidil-estrogen blend which mimicks hair growth experienced during pregnancy). He says it will stimulate hair growth and once my iron is where it should be, I can stop and not have drastic hair loss that I keep reading about when people stop minoxidil. Anyone used minoxidil w/ iron related hair loss?? Is it true that if you stop using it, your hair will not fall out? Please help!
  16. Tiny

Tiny Member

Hi everyone, got my minoxidil creme in from zooscape, tried it one afternoon and washed it out, it made my hair feel like crap, so went back searching on the internet, found this stuff from ************.com. Its REMOX. Has anyone heard of this ,or tried it? Its very expensive, but might possibly give that a try. I'm going to order just the spray, it shows that you just give 6-8 mist sprays above your head, just like you would apply hairspray. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this? and has tried it? I also switched my shampoo and conditioner to Bosley Proffesional Strength. My hairstylist had me try some samples and that stuff is great, it gives my hair so much volume.
  17. Tiny

Tiny Member

Update, The remox was returned, it irrated and burnt my scalp. Now I'm using mens rogaine, been on that for a month and not liking my hair right now, I believe I've shedded a bit and i keep second guessing my decision. I know its going to take time to see results but I'm already getting scared with the condition of my hair. Has any one been on this long enough for results? ugh!!!
  18. Sukhi

Sukhi New Member

My progress with Rogaine5% foam

Hi Tiny.

I have been on the foam for 6 weeks now and I have noticed that my hair appears a lot thicker then before. I have taken pictures, just haven't gotten around to posting them.

Just a bit about my story-My hair started thinning out around the age of 16. I always had thick, curly hair and was often complimented on my hair. The doctors did tests and everything came back normal. I was told it's genetic and nothing can be done about it. Around the age of 22 I started using Minoxidil 5% lotion and saw results immediately. However, I stopped using it and I am guessing it was due to the side effects. Then I started using concealers and eventually decided I didn't like spending the time to make my hair look thick-I was getting sick of it.

I eventually forked out $2000 and brought a customized human hair topper,which I totally loved and have been using it for the last 2 years. Well now i am sick of putting it on and taking it off and trying to make it look all natural from the bang area. I finally decided to use the Foam after extensive researching and found that it's way less irritating then the old version. Each can is enough for one months use, but I have been on the same can for the last 6 weeks.

I brought the 4 month supply off of ebay and received it within 2 weeks. I forgot to mention that my hairloss is primarily at the front and back, but is also thinning all over the scalp.

I would highly recommend using it and committing to it as long as you can. I have 2 little ones and still plan to have another and know I will need to discontinue using it during pregnancy.

Hope you are successful regardless of which decision you make.

Good luck.
  19. Tiny

Tiny Member

Hi Sukhi, thanks for applying to my thread. I've noticed that my hair has started feeling thicker after 5 weeks. Can I ask where you apply the foam? My areas are the bang, sides. I've only been applying to the temples and a little on top. I've noticed that my can has lasted me over the 4 week mark also. is that good or bad? I'm not bald any where just thin. I'm 45 years old and just been experiencing hair thinning the last 4-5 years. I've really tried not to commit to something that will always have to be used, but I was using a all natural product sold through a local salon here but its been 3 years of use with not great results, and quite costly at that. sometime I forget to apply the foam twice a day and it only ends up being once. My baby days are over, all my children and grown so no need for me to have to stop the product. I guess I just second guess my decision after trying so hard for the past three years trying to do without minoxidil. Thanks again for posting,any advice always helps :)
  20. Sukhi

Sukhi New Member

Hi Tiny.

No worries. That's one of the reasons I joined this site and just being able to connect with others who are going through the same emotional roller coaster makes a huge difference in how we are able to deal with hair loss.

I apply the foam in the bang area, temples, on top and at the back of the crown. My hair feels and looks thicker, but I am also using Nioxin shampoo/conditioner, so not sure if that's a contributing factor.

I also don't apply it twice as there are nights when I get lazy and just head to bed. Other then that, I am happy with what I am seeing. I haven't experienced the shed, or at least I didn't notice an increased in shed, unless that's still to come.

Will just have to wait and see.

:) Good luck!