Rogaine Foam 5% for Men - what were your results??

Discussion in 'Rogaine (Minoxidil)' started by tryingtostaypositive, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm a 23 year old female with severe genetic hairloss from both my mother and father.

I'm wondering if any women reading this have used/are using Rogaine Foam for men (5% Minoxidil). If so, did you experience facial hair growth? How much?

I want to use the more effective Rogaine, because the 2% solution seems so INeffective (only 19% of subjects saw a moderate improvement!?). But I'm really worried about the facial hair growth (as is my husband).

Also, my husband and I are wanting to start having kids in about 2 years. Does anyone know if it's dangerous to use any form of Rogaine when I'm wanting to have kids in the near future?

Thank you to whoever reads this and replies, I really appreciate it.
  2. Tiny

Tiny Member

Hi trytostaypostive

I was using the rogaine foam for about 4 months, I wasn't applying as recommended but I was using it in certain areas, mainly my frontal. I did not have any problem with facial hair. I've stopped using because it claims it doesn't help with frontal hairline. I swiched to the womens 2% for about a month now again not faithfully like recommended but Im seeing my hair look frizzy and unhealthy looking. I have a hair appt. next week and see what my hairdresser has to say. I've stopped applying it for now, its been about a week without.
  3. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

I've been using men's Rogaine foam once per day for some time now. I haven't experienced facial hair growth thus far. I think it is important for me to say that I also take Spironolactone (for my hair loss as well as my heart). I use Rogaine to treat the symptom of my hair loss. I take Spironolactone to treat the cause of my hair loss. One of the benefits of Spironolactone is it can prevent hirsutism (facial and body hair).

Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) can work anywhere that is not completely void of hair, even the front. The reason the makers of Rogaine cannot state that it works in the front is because they did not included that data when they applied for FDA approval way back when they applied for FDA approval. Over the years, doctors and patients alike have found that the medicine can work in the front, as long as that area is not completely void of hair.

Here are some links to help:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/medications/rogaine-minoxidil/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/medications/rogaine-minoxidil/tips-on-minoxidil/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/medications/aldactone-spironolactone/

It is also important to note that it takes a long time to treat hair loss. It also takes a long time for hair that has grown back from using Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) to look like normal hair. So if the medicine has grown hair for you, you need to keep using the medicine as the regrown hair continues to cycle. Eventually, it does become normal hair. I use a laser comb to try to speed up the process. Low level laser therapy increases the caliber, strength and quality of hair you have. This effect makes your hair look fuller and more youthful. This effect also improves the hair that has grown back from using Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil).

Here are a couple more links:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/laser-therapy/hairmax-laser-comb/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/med...er-comb/fda-clearance-for-hair-loss-in-women/

Many who use Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) also use Nizoral shampoo. Nizoral can help reduce any possible irritation that Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) may cause. Also, the active ingredient in Nizoral is a mild anti-androgen that may block the hormone that causes hereditary hair loss (DHT) at the scalp. I use the non-prescription strength "Nizoral A-D" version once or twice per week in place of my regular shampoo. You need to make sure you are using good quality moisturizing conditioners when you are using Nizoral shampoo. It is a good idea to use them anyways.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. Tiny

Tiny Member

Thanks Tracy C for the advice, maybe that is why my hair is looking so dull and frizzy because of actual new growth. I'm having such a hard time with this, I'm not a person that puts their hair up and a lot of my area that is affected is my frontal. I just feel myself getting depressed again. When I was on the mens rogaine foam I didn't see a lot of improvement but I didn't have this dryness and dullness as I did applying the liquid 2%. I haven't put anything(minoxidil) in my hair for about a week now, I'm also taking the Hairfinity vitamins once a day, I use the Bosley shampoo and conditioner and I'm back to applying the womens therapro cellagen that I get from a local salon here. Plus deep conditioning it every 3-4 days. I want my hair back but not to the point where I'm going to look like a frizzed out freak everyday, I dont know if I have it in me to go forward with this. I will see what my hairdresser comments on Tuesday before I commit to anything else. But I appreciate the all your advice and knowledge on the product, that helps a lot.
  5. Tiny

Tiny Member

another quick question Tracy C. Where is your hair loss area? and you never mentioned how long you've been using the mens rogaine foam but have you seen any results? How do you apply it? When I was using it I would put a few drops on the top of my scalp and some up on my temples. I don't even know if I was using the recommended amount. Let me know what your experience has been so far? Thanks
  6. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

Hi Tiny,

It is better to talk to a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss than to talk to your hair stylist about your hair loss. Hair loss is a medical condition and your stylist is not likely to be a doctor as well as a stylist.

The hair that grows back from using Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) starts out very downy. Over time the quality of the regrown hair improves if you continue treatment. I had a great deal of hair loss so I had no choice but to continue treatment if I wanted to try to get my hair back. So I continued treatment and I witnessed myself the hair improving over time. Treating hair loss is not a quick process. It takes a long time to treat hair loss. I am aware that many women give up well before they actually know how well the medicine is working for them. That is why doctors generally advise women to keep using it as directed for at least six months but preferably twelve months before deciding if it is working for them.

My hair loss is mostly on the top of my head. My hair line has remained reasonably in tact, though it did thin a bit. My hair line has since thickened back up, though it is not back to the thickness it was before hair loss ruined my life. Now when I am wearing a hair band, it is difficult to tell that I suffer from hair loss if you look at my hair line. Needless to say, I wear hair bands often.

I have been using generic women's 2% liquid Minoxidil for about three and a half years. I do not remember exactly when I started using men's Rogaine foam. I only use it once a day. I just finished a three month supply the other day. Since I only use it once a day, that means I have been using it for at least six months. I am also pretty sure I do not use the full dose when I use it. So it is likely that I have been using it a little longer than six months.
  7. Tiny

Tiny Member

Hi Tracy C, I have been to a doctor and a derm and they never seem concerned, all they say is get on Rogaine. I just feel like the texture and health of my hair has changed since using the product. I try to keep it to just my frontal area. we will see
  8. Tiny

Tiny Member

well later this afternoon is my hair appointment, I'm wondering what my hairdresser will have to say about the condition of my hair, I'm sorry to say but I soooooo regret getting on Rogaine, The condition of my hair is so dry and frizzy right now, I can't seem to manage it at all. Every 3 days I'm deep conditioning it but my hair is just not improving. I guess I rather have thin healthy looking hair then to have this un healtly looking dry frizz. I'm done with it. Back to my first regiman which was hairinfinity vitamins and womens therpro cellagen, plus keep up with my every 3 day deep condioning to try to get my hair to look healthy again, so hoping this haircut will help along the way. This is just unreal, I'm so tired of trying anymore.
  9. Tiny

Tiny Member

went to my hairdressers and she thinks my hair is doing good, still have my frontal issues,and my right side is very thin, just reordered mens rogaine foam and received it yesterday, I'm going to go back on it, I think the womens liquid was drying my hair out, my hair feels softer again after stopping use of that, of course I still have my days. I'm going to really be faithful with the product this time and just try keeping a postive attitude and hope for the best. Hope everyone else is doing well
  10. Tiny

Tiny Member

Well, have stopped all rogaine products, its really messed up my frontal area, I'm so discouraged. I went to hairbuilders today and I'm putting myself in debt for a hairpiece, I'm so sick of waiting for results and never getting any where and then having a product mess up what I was starting to gain and making my hair look like crap along the way. I have to wait 6-8 weeks for my hair piece and i'm so hoping it is going to give me the results I want. In the mean time just keep doing what I'm doing, Stupid Hair anyway, ugh!!!!!!
  11. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

Hi Tiny,

I am sorry you are so discouraged. Many women give up because it takes so long - and because often times it does get worse before it gets better. Many things in life are that way. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for hair loss other than prosthetics. That's just the way it is. Right now I want to just give you a hug and wish you the best.

Take care,

Tracy
  12. Tiny

Tiny Member

Hi Tracy C.
    Thank you, you have such a big heart. I know that things sometimes get worse before they get better but I just can't take this anymore. I wish I had the patience for it but I don't want my hair looking so unhealthy and I know the Rogaine has set me back and who knows how much worse it's going to get now that i've stopped using it, so I need to do something about it until I can get it to where I like my hair again, I don't mind having a hair piece but not liking the money I have to spend but if I would have done this at the very beginning of my hairloss issues I would have already have paid it off with the amount of money I have spent on other products. Thank you so much for caring I really appreciate it.
  13. Tiny

Tiny Member

I started laser treatments also, Hairbuilders is having a special, 10 treatments for $75.00 and I've ordered a Hairmax laser comb which should be in by next week, so when my treatments are done I can start doing the laser myself. Plus waiting on my hairpiece. Hopefully this will all help until my hair corrects itself from that crappy Rogaine product. I think that is the worst mistake I've ever made is putting that crap on my scalp. My hair might have been thin in the front but at least it looked healthy, and I could manage it
  14. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

Hi Tiny,

I hope these treatments will help you. I am sorry you feel so terribly about Rogaine but you know what? My response to Rogaine was nothing like what you describe. Rogaine grew back some of my hair - and for that I am delighted. I never went through a phase where my hair looked "unhealthy" from using Rogaine. The quality of my hair didn't change at all from using Rogaine. My hair did look pretty bad before I started treating my hair loss though.

I do not know why we responded so differently to Rogaine but I do know that you did not use the medicine long enough to gain any benefit from using it. I think it is very important for other women reading this to know that. It does take a painfully long time to treat hair loss - and unfortunately there is no way around that.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  15. Tiny

Tiny Member

Hi Tracy, I hope these treatments will help me also. Maybe I didn't use the Rogaine faithfully, I don't really know but I feel it has turned my hair for the worse. My frontal has got really bad and my right side of my hair has receded back, I do see short hairs popping up so that is a good sign but if it was from the Rogaine then I will probally lose them or maybe with the laser treatments it will stay and grow. I just know I'm feeling quite depressed again lately because I feel I have set myself back. Just going to take one day at a time again, and hope for the best.
  16. Amanda31

Amanda31 New Member

Support

Hi Tiny,

I personally haven't used rogaine, but I just wanted to pop in and offer my support! This journey is a difficult one and I have found the best help has been knowing others out there understand! I won't use rogaine or any other product that would leave me feeling trapped for life in using it. I believe in a natural approach but I feel everyone has to do what's right for them, and that differs greatly from person to person. I don't like chemicals or harsh treatments that are risky for my health. I have reached a point in my journey where if I have accepted that I may lose my hair. I am undergoing some natural treatments right now, and so far they have given me healthy, shiny hair that I haven't had in a long time and my shedding has normalized. I still have a ways to go before I see any regrowth but if anything will work for me I believe it's these treatments. If, when it's all said and done, I don't get any hair back well I will know I tried my best and if I get to the point where I have to shave my head I will do it with grace and dignity and my head held high knowing that my beauty comes from my soul. Hang in there and best of luck to you :) I hope you can find a solution that is right for you :)
  17. Tiny

Tiny Member

Hi Amanada31 , You know that was the way I was feeling but just felt like I could get better results if I had tried the Rogaine product, a lot of good that did me!!!! I'm into my laser treatments right now, I have 3 more to go at Hairbuilders and then on my own with my lasercomb after that, I must admit I have seen a lot of new hairs popping out in my frontal area, which is wonderful to see. I went back to my Womens Therapro Cellagen(its a follice stimulator) I had been using that for 3 years off and on) Plus I take my Hairinfinity vitamins. My hair has been improving condition wise since I've been sticking to this program. I will never use that Rogaine product ever again. Still waiting on my hairpiece, that won't be here till the end of the month. That should help my frontal area until it grows back in nice and thick, hopefully someday:) I still have my good and bad days but feeling better about the way I'm dealing with my hair regimen. :)
  18. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

Hi Amanda,

Women need to be aware that those who are suffering with androgenetic alopecia (hereditary hair loss) are trapped into treatment for life no matter how they decide to treat it. There is no avoiding it because androgentic alopecia does not stop. It continues to progress till the day you die. A woman suffering with hereditary hair loss has only two options; either accept being a bald lady - or treat the condition for the rest of her life. That is the sad reality of it. Someday the day may come when this is not the case – but for now this is the case. It is very important for women to realize this truth whether they want to accept it or not.

Another very important thing all women here need to know is that Tiny's experience with Rogaine foam is not the norm. I don't know what was going wrong for her - but her experience with this medicine was not normal at all. Not normal in any way, shape or form.

Personally, I have no faith that natural treatments do anything meaningful or appreciable to treat hereditary hair loss - and for good reason. There is absolutely no credible evidence to suggest they might be helpful. However, I do hope they work out for you. Whatever you think is best for you is what is best for you.

Take care,

Tracy
  19. bbdlmc

bbdlmc New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm no expert on Rogaine Foam, but have been using it for 10 weeks now. I only use it once a day, but have not experienced any negative side effects. I'm not sure, but I think Tiny's problem may be that she was not consistent with it. Starting and stopping like that probably wasn't such a good idea.

I have also been wearing a human hair topper that cost me $900. It's only been 4 month wearing this topper and I feel I could stand a replacement. I can't go back to just my bio hair the way it is now so spending $30 on a bottle of Rogaine that has lasted me 10 weeks is a much better life long investment than replacing/buying a new topper every 4/5 months for life because sad to say, I know I will need either Rogaine or some type of hair replacement for the rest of my lifetime.
  20. Tracy C

Tracy C New Member

When it comes to using Minoxidil in any form, whether it is Rogaine foam, liquid Rogaine or generic liquid Minoxidil, starting and stopping over and over is the worse thing you can do. Never use it "off and on". Either use it as directed or don't use it at all. This is not simply a "product" as Tiny puts it. Rogaine is medicine. Medicine that is intended for a specific medical condition and intended to be used as directed. I can tell from reading Tiny's posts that she probably did not follow the directions. I do know she did not use the medicine long enough to realize any benefit from using it. It is important for other women to understand that when they read what Tiny has written about her experience with this medicine.

I don't know why Tiny experienced what she experienced using this medicine. Maybe she was putting it in her hair instead of massaging it into her scalp like you are supposed to. I just don't know. But I do know her description of her experience with Rogaine is not normal.

That may not be true for much longer. There are cell based treatments in FDA trials right now that look very promising. These cell based treatments not only reverse hereditary hair loss but could also possibly immunize hair follicles from the damaging effects of DHT. I don't know when these more permanent treatments will become available but I do believe it can be as soon as only a few years from now.