Rogaine Foam 5% for Men - what were your results??

Discussion in 'Rogaine (Minoxidil)' started by tryingtostaypositive, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Cassy

Cassy Member

Tiny
    In a few weeks it will be a year for me on the 5%. The last two months I have stopped shedding. The first 10 months the shedding was so bad I ended up with less hair than I started with. The way I looked at it was I am 50 now and have been dealing with hair loss for 30 years. I tried Rogaine twice before in my life but never got buy the shedding phase. This time I stuck with it because I was desperate and had nothing to lose now at my age and the thinness my hair had reached. If the shedding had not stopped I would have quit at a year. Like I said before I hope I dont curse myself but the shedding stopped at 10 months in. Its been 2 months now with no shedding and I am growing small hairs but nothing to get excited about. I am though very happy that I dont have the non stop heavy shedding. I am still using the hairmax lazor everyother day and the rogine on the other days.
  2. Caitlyn

Caitlyn New Member

Im on my 5th month of shedding with 2% strength :( I have been terrified of the shed but was told it should die down by now. Now im really worried it may last even longer. I dont think i could survive ten months of shedding.

DO you think your hairmax lazor might have had something to do with your shedding coming to and end? Im sorry to hear your shed was so long but I am happy to hear you have ridden it out. That took a lot of discipline.
  3. Cassy

Cassy Member

Caitlyn, I had been using the hairmax for 6 months before I started the rogaine. I had a shed with the lazor but not as bad as the rogaine. I truly think the lazor helps. I use it every other day.
  4. Tiny

Tiny Member

Hey Cassy, How are things going for you with your hairloss treatment, You should be well over a year using your treatments and I was wondering if you had major improvement?
  5. Cassy

Cassy Member

Tiny, I am having my annual summer shed. So the rogaine did not stop that! What little regrowth I am having are thin little hairs. I am continuing to use the rogaine. I will keep you updated. My lazer comb stopped working last night. Hopefully it wont take long to get it repaired.
  6. Tiny

Tiny Member

cassy, im sorry to hear that. I got back on the 2% rogaine, in the beginning of my 4th month and I'm now noticing that my frontal is starting to fill in. I still wear my hairpiece during the week and give my scalp a break from it on weekends when there is no company around. I still use the womens therapro cellagan and take my hairfinity vitamins and visicial vitamins each day. Plus I purchased hair essential shampoo and conditioner through the hairfinity website and I love that stuff, it has made a big difference in my hair, so I alternate that shampoo and conditioner with the Bosley shampoo and conditioner and I also give my hair a deep conditioning treatment once a week. My next hair appointment is mid-June and I think im just going to get my hair colored and not cut anything. So hoping that im on my way to getting my hair back in the frontal so I can stop wearing the hairpiece. Some days I get so depressed over dealing with hair issues, I hate having to hide my hair. I will keep you posted within the next 2-3 months and let you know if things are still looking up for me. Good Luck Cassy
  7. Cassy

Cassy Member

Tiny, it's great that your hair is starting to fill in. Do you think it's the rogaine? How often do you use it? Do you take both hair vitamins at the same time? I know it's depressing and tiring how much time and worry we spend on our hair.
  8. Tiny

Tiny Member

hi Cassy, I don't know if it is the Rogaine. I went to my hair appt. today and got a half inch taken off the back and a little bit of layering on the sides to try and give my hair some body but didn't cut anything frontal. I'm a bit discouraged.... my hairdresser see's a little bit of hair growth but nothing major......... she comments on the condition of my hair, which I've said before, the rogaine makes my hair look frizzy and dry, it really does a number to the condition of my hair.... so now I'm second guessing myself again on how bad do I really want my hair back???? I know I do want it to look healthy and yes I do want to get the hell out of my hairpiece and Yes I do want my frontal back but at what cost. I think I'm going to start weening myself off the rogaine again, totally done with it.... Forever. I guess its thin hair or Hairpiece till my hair corrects itself. I know you have been on it for a long time and everytime I check in with you I don't hear good results which discourages me even more. To each its own... I guess but I really need to stick with my decision this time and just forget the Rogaine method and spend money just on my vitamins and my different shampoo and conditioners and my cellagen products and hope for the best. My hairdresser even suggested try the wen products because of the condition of my hair right now. I even purchased some color spray for my thin area's, which was suggested to me which I have used the Toppick powder on weekends when Im without my hairpiece anyway, but this is suppose to give you a bit more body and be less damaging to the pores on your scalp... I'm just going to keep doing what i'm doing minus the Rogaine and hope for the best. Keep me posted on your outcome, please.
  9. Tiny

Tiny Member

Cassy, the only other thing I have to say is, I was always discouraged about my frontal being thin and having to pin it back and I remember bringing up to my hairdresser about trying the Rogaine and she had advised me not to " said I had hair and that it does take a long time for hair to grow" well... I wish I had listened to her because My hair has gotten so much worse since I've tried the Rogaine,from being thinner to the condition. You don't know how many times I wish I could turn back the hands of time any. But i can't all I can do is move forward again and hope for the best but not thinking it's going to come this time because I have got myself into a situation whaere I have to hide my own hair and I really believe that it is hindering my hair from growing, but I do not have the courage to wear my own hair out in public yet, which is just getting me down, when I wish for that good hair day each day where I will feel confident enough to just do it
  10. mogwai

mogwai New Member

Thank you, Tracy C, and a few questions

11. Cassy

Cassy Member

mogwai, I don't think that laser comb would be too strong. The derm I see in cleveland was co-inventor of the laser helmet and insists that the comb is not strong enough. I don't agree with him. I use the comb every other day for 30 min. I do it at night while I'm watching tv.

For an update on the 5%. My summer shed has slowed down. I do have some regrowth. I use it once a day but twice as much as it says to cover my entire head.
  12. mogwai

mogwai New Member

Thanks so much, Casey. Do you use the hairmax 7 or 9 or 12, please? I was concerned the latest model (the 12) might be too strong, but it sounds like the helmet is even stronger ;-) so I guess it's okay. While watching TV is a great idea -- that's the only way I won't be bored and stop doing it!

Thanks too for the response on the 5%. Love that you've had some regrowth -- yay! Have you noticed any increase in wrinkles? I've seen some folks commenting on that on this site, and that worries me a bit.

I've had really bad hairloss for over a decade now, and finally am determined to do something about it. My dermatologist said straight out that nothing but minox really works.
  13. Cassy

Cassy Member

mogwai, I have the very first model hairmax. I keep waiting for it to kick the bucket so I can get the 12. Had to replace the cord last month but its still going strong.
    No, I have not noticed more wrinkles from the 5%.
  14. mogwai

mogwai New Member

Thank you, Cassy! Really appreciate your help.
  15. hope for hair

hope for hair New Member

New to Rogaine

Women's rogaine is not sold in Canada.

I'm new to using the men's 5% rogaine foam. After reading this message thread and researching on the internet, I've decided to apply it only once a day in the evening. I first applied it to my hair part on the middle of my head. I experienced shedding as expected. To me it was noticeable, but friends of mine didn't really see any difference. Where it was no argument was in the pictures I took. The shedding was quite spread out on the middle part. It was about 1 centimeter down throughout the middle part. What made it not too noticeable was other strands of hair covering the area. I'm now applying it to my hairline and sides.

I'm really hoping the shedding is a good sign and I'm able to report re-growth in the next 4 months.
  16. Miss84

Miss84 New Member

Hope for hair -

How is the shedding now? Still with the same intensity? How much more do you lose now in comparison to before?
    I have heard that its normal to shed the first couple of wks. Good luck.
  17. hope for hair

hope for hair New Member

shedding stabilized or finished

Miss 84

Well the shedding seems to have stabilized after about 3 weeks or finished (I hope). The instructions do say the shedding lasts about 2 -6 weeks, which means this is a good sign. I would say the shedding to me was noticeable. If you still have a good deal of hair on your head, then it's not as noticeable (at the side part) because hair on the other part of your hair can be used to cover up most of the shed.

At the hairline, it is quite noticeable. I don't have bangs. I would say I shed about a quarter more of what I had. I am not too concerned because I think this is only temporary. I'll only be concerned if the hair I shed with this product doesn't grow back along with new growth.

I'm now waiting for the next marker and that's in 4 months when the hairline and the side part start filling in with growth.

If i can learn how to crop pictures, I would post photos.
  18. erin7111

erin7111 New Member

Regrowth

Hello! I am at month 4 using Rogaine. Prior to this, you could see through my hair right to the back of my head. You cannot now although I still have flat hair.. I do have regrowth. All different lengths where I have put the Rogaine so I am happy. I noticed the growth starting at month 3. I wouldn't say it was peach fuzz. It was actual new growth but finer. So keep on using it! I found it so hard to be patient but I'm glad I kept on with it. I use it once a day in the evening before bed.
  19. Miss84

Miss84 New Member

Erin7111 -
    Thank you for your post, it gives us all hope. Which rogaine are you using? Did you also experience extra shedding when you first started using it? For how long? Thank you
  20. Miss84

Miss84 New Member

Hope for hair -
    I am so happy for you. Has the shedding completely stopped? How much hair would you say you lose now?
    I hope your regrowth starts soon & you get your full head of hair back. :)
    By the way, what form of alopecia do you have?
    Thank you.