Shampoos and Vitamins

Discussion in 'Looking For Advice (my story)' started by justbeth, Aug 24, 2009.

1. justbeth

justbeth New Member

Im fairly new to this forum and I was wondering what Shampoos and Vitamins you guys are taking.

Right now Im taking 1 fish oil pill and 1 biotin pill a day. I know there are a ton of other vitamins that I could be taking, but I get so overwhelmed at the store trying to figure out which ones to get. I was hoping that you guys could tell me what vitamins you take and how much of each.

In regards to shampoo, I just purchased Avalon Organics Biotin B Complex Thickening shampoo and conditioner. It has biotin, saw palmetto, and wheat protein. Have any of you tried this before? good/bad results?

Thank you!:>
  2. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

Hi Beth, I use sulfate-free shampoos, a few different ones. As for vitamins and supplements, I really think you get your blood checked first - for iron/ferritin and B-12 levels among other things. What you are taking can't hurt. I just added fish oil to my regimen last week. I take 4000mcg of biotin a day - it makes my nails grow really fast (that's not what I'm taking it!) , and my hairdresser says that my hair seems healthier - but it is not making my hair stop falling out or regrow. I also take a B-complex (also started last week). And slow Fe and L-lysine because my ferritin is low. But please, really, see a doctor first, let him OK anything else you want to take
  3. justbeth

justbeth New Member

Victoria; thanks for the info. Im waiting to hear back from my doc on my blood work, but I just wanted to get started on some vitamins that wouldnt hurt to take anyways. I think my biotin pills are 1000mcg, so I will slowly up the dosage over the next few weeks. Even if it doesnt help with the shedding or regrowth, healthier hair would be so much better. Mine feels like straw and there is no coloring in it at all.

Thanks again for the info!
  4. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

You're welcome!! Sorry, I didn't realize you'd already gone for bloodwork, good. A regular multi like Centrum is good too, I take it when I remember :).
  5. Stacey2478

Stacey2478 New Member

this might sound weird, but I take a pre natal vitamin along with the biotin. There have been new studies to show that the great hair pregnant woman say they have has more to do with the folic acid found in the pre natal vitamins and less to do with the hormones from pregnancy. My hairdresser recommended it and my doc said it was a good idea. it also has extra iron so be careful if you are already taking an iron supplement. Some ppl complain about constipation while taking them but I have not had an issue.
  6. justbeth

justbeth New Member

Victoria: Sorry, I completely forgot to mention the blood work in my first post! I will head to the store, I guess a regular one a day vitamin cant hurt! I have heard a lot of people using sulfate-free shampoos, what does that do exactly?

Stacey: Thats a really good idea! How has it worked for you? Have you noticed any differences with that and the biotin?
    How much biotin do you take? Im taking 1000mcg right now. I have heard of people taking more, but I dont want to take too much!

Thanks ladies!
  7. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

Hi Beth - sulfate-free shampoos don't have the harsh detergents that are often in "regular" shampoos, I find that my scalp is much less dry when I use these shampoos. It also is gentler to your hair, my color lasts longer (I color to cover greys - you know, the ones that never fall out :) ?)
    Angela likes this.
  8. Stacey2478

Stacey2478 New Member

The pre natal vitamins have helped to keep what I have healthy (and give lots of energy!) and I just recently started taking the biotin. I am only taking 600 a day of the biotin because I didn't want to over do it. My nails are growing like crazy and I have noticed that my new growth (which usually falls out after it gets a couple of inches long) has grown a lot in the last couple of weeks. It seems thicker than usual, so fingers crossed! I have also been using a natural biotin shampoo and conditioner by Natures Gate. You can find it at Whole Foods and it is not expensive. My hair feels clean and is not weighed down and greasy like it usually is at the end of the day!
  9. justbeth

justbeth New Member

Victoria: why is it that the grey ones stay in so strong! haha

Stacy: So what type of prenatal are you on? I use an organic biotin shampoo as well. So far I really love it. The last few shampoos I havent had as much hair shed and its starting to feel a little softer. And it is really light as well. I might have to pick up a bottle or two of the kind you are using and see how I like that as well.

:)