Spironolactone - PCOS and Hair Loss Success Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Women's Hair Loss Project, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Women's Hair Loss Project

Women's Hair Loss Project Administrator Staff Member

From The Women' Hair Loss Project:

I just want to post my SUCCESS STORY here regarding PCOS and hairloss. I know this is something that is so devastating to many of us PCOS women and seems to respond slowest to treatment, so here’s my story….
    On December 4, 2003 I went to get highlights and my hairdresser told me I was “thinning” on top. I had no idea. My hair was always long and thick, my pride & joy. Now thinning? Huh??? Sure enough after examining it under bright lights, the crown showed signs of diffuse thinning… I was DEVASTATED. I had the good sense acknowledge that thinning hair on a woman is not NORMAL, and thus there must be an underlying medical condition with was causing the loss. I researched and researched until my fingers were raw, and everything kept coming back to me saying “PCOS unmasked by coming off the BCP” .

I went to many doctors and none could confirm my self-diagnosis. After 4 months, I had gone from “thinning” to downright “Balding”. My self-esteem hit rock bottom, and my weight ballooned by 30 lbs. I was devastated. I was having anxiety and depression which I have NEVER experienced before in my life, and it stemmed from my hairloss. Having great hair had always been my crutch if I was feeling too fat or too zitty, oh well, at least I had this really great hair, right???? Luckily my husband and mother intervened at this point, and to make a long story short, I got into an Endocrinologist who said PCOS right away and started me on aggressive treatment. That was March 29, 2004.

Read Full Story
  2. gale

gale New Member

What exactly is included in "aggressive treatment"
  3. Denise B.

Denise B. New Member

I had used 2% Nizoral shampoo for my dermatitis years ago but stopped because I felt the results were just OK. I think I will start again for the PCOS. I also didn't like it b/c it was so drying to my hair. But if it can help, then I'll just used more conditioner.
  4. ripples

ripples New Member

pcod

hi, what is pcod? i was diagnosed with low thyroid and between the hair loss from that and the medication levo, i too am experiencing anxiety and was wondering if an endocronogist would be better than my regular MD:(
  5. ripples

ripples New Member

pcos

Hi, i just joined the forum and was wondering what pcos is. i was diagnosed with low thyroid and between that and the levo medication, i'm shedding and losing hair like crazy! I was thinking about switching to an endocrinologist as they may know how to treat me more than my regular GP. has anyone out there experienced hair loss with low thyroid and levothyroxine? if so, any info would help as my anxiety is causing other problems which i never had. thank you.:confused:
  6. gale

gale New Member

Polycystic ovary syndrome

the following is copied from a info website=PCOS is Polycystic ovary syndrome, it is an endocrine disorder that affects approximately 5% of all women.[1] It occurs amongst all races and nationalities, is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age, and is a leading cause of infertility.[2][3]
    The principal features are obesity, anovulation (resulting in irregular menstruation), and excessive amounts or effects of androgenic (masculinizing) hormones. The symptoms and severity of the syndrome vary greatly among women. While the causes are unknown, insulin resistance, diabetes, and obesity are all strongly correlated with PCOS.

I personally know a few women who have this disorder and all their symptoms due vary immensely, I personally am effected by PCOS in every possible way, I have weight gain that will not go away regardless of what i do, i have loss of hair from the age of 14,( i believe almost 2/3 of my hair has fallen out) which is when i started my period, and i have about 2 to 3 periods a year, also sad to report that depression is also associated with it and you guess it, i have that too. One of my friends also was told by her doctor that she has pcos, but she admits to not having any of the symptoms, no weight gain, no hair loss, no depression. I secretly hate her. lol.
  7. Lisah

Lisah New Member

Another Question About PCOS

I am wondering how they diagnose this condition. I have appt. set with OBGYN.. I have never been preg.and I have the weight problem and other issues.. maybe depression but thought that came with hairloss so not sure which??? What kind of test should I ask for?? Always wondered why I could not get preg. maybe that is contributing to my hair problems because it doesn't run in my family..Any advice would be appreciated..
  8. gale

gale New Member

I’m not a doctor, but an ultrasound should pretty much do it. If they see cysts in your ovaries then you probably have it, also I believe a blood test is done to confirm. My ultrasound showed many cysts and the doctor said he was 99 % sure I had it but needed to check my hormones to be 100%. Best of luck.