Telogen Effluvium recovery

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by dan456, Nov 27, 2013.

1. dan456

dan456 New Member

Hi all, I imagine if you have come across this post you must be experiencing what you believe to be an episode of telogen effluvium. I am currently in the recovery phase of an episode of telogen effluivium and I promised myself that when I reached this stage I would post about my recovery in order to give hope and support to any other woman or man going through this very stressful experience.

I am from a medical background. I am medical student one year from qualification which means I can perhaps offer some help from the information I have gathered over the last 3 months about telogen effluvium.

My hair loss began August 2013 following an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts 3 months earlier in may. When my telogen effluvium began, I was losing 300 hairs daily regardless of hair washing. It has now slowed to my normal loss of 40 hairs daily. Overall I have probably lost around 30% of my hair at a maximum, which is not obvious to the observer but it is obvious to me.

Believe me when I say I know how this affects people. Losing my hair in huge quantities is the most distressing thing I have ever experienced and I do not think there was a single day where I didnt cry. There were days where I felt like I couldnt cope and I felt that despite reassurance from my loved ones, I didnt look the same anymore. my self esteem was low.and I felt like noone could truely understand how affecting it can be in life unless you have gone through it personally.

So what did I do about my hairloss? When I first noticed it, I visited my GP. So first you need to know is this definitely telogen effluvium. in my case i did have acute telogen effluvium. telogen effluvium begins relatively abruptly with an increase in shedding of telogen hairs. normal hair loss is between 50-100 hairs daily and to say you have an epiaode of telogen effluvium normally you lose over 100 hairs daily every day for the telogen effluvium period. telogen hairs will have the characteristic keratin bulb at the end whwhere it has been released from the scalp. telogen effluvium acutely occurs 2 to 3 months after a profound physiological stress on the body such as illness, new medicationsnor change in medication, childbirth, hormonal changes, significant dietary change, surgery etc. the stress to the body causes a percentage of the hair follicles to go into the resting telogen phase, which is where the excess shedding comes from. as only a percentage of hair follicles go into telogen phase there is no risk of baldness, however patients can lose at a maximum around 70% in the worst of cases but this is unusual. if thestress to the body is removed then the change to the hair follicles will not continue and there should be a complete recovery. It took my hair 3 months to slow down sheddong but telogen effluvium in the acute setting can occur from 2 weeks to 8 months, will the typical patient seeing a decrease in shedding in 3 to 6 months. the main message Im trying to give here is that there is no risk of balding and you shouls remain hopeful of recovery if you have an acute telogen effluvium- it will recover it just takes time.

It is important the doctor questions you on you type of hairloss. How much hair are you losing daily? When did this begin? have you noticed and areas of total baldness or does it seem to be diffusely thinning? in telogen effluvium there is diffuse thinning with no recession of the frontal hair line, that can perhaps be most thinned in temporal area but there is no rule, it is diffuse thinning. The doctor should look in your scalp. they should look for areas or patches of complete baldness as this would suggest alopecia areata instead of telogen effluvium. they should assess the pattern of hairloss if it has been going on for a long time. female androgenic alopecia for example tends to be most noticed on the crown with the christmas tree pattern. the doctor should also look.for.seborrhoeic dermatitis as if severe this can lead to telogen effluvium. do the hair pull test by taking 30 hairs.and giving it a good tug and repeat in different areas of the scalp. if more than 4 or 5 comes out on each pull it suggests a period of telogen effluvium.

have blood tests. ensure you have a full blood count to look for anaemia, have thyroid function tests, have your B12 and folate checked along with your iron and ferritin. it is worth while having hormones tested too as polycystic ovarian syndrome can cause it too.

in order to help yourself the only advice I would give is look after your health. eat plenty green vegetables and get enough protein in your diet. try not to stress. get good sleep. distract yourself and dont allow this hairloss to become all consuming. even though this ia a horrid condition, acute telogen effluvium is temporary and does recover. it is very difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel when youre going through it but this is a.gradual process of recovery. think positive, it does get better. Good luck to you all.
    rachell lucas, dream1649 and Ponygirl like this.
  2. Elaya

Elaya New Member

Hello Dan ,
    Excuse my English. I 'am having an episode of TE as I can see the shedding is not steady every day the amount of hair falling is different. I lost hope and I got severely depressed ! I believe I wont get my old hair density back.
    This event started almost in Oct 1 2014 till now the shedding is continues and as I said different everyday. when should I expect new hairs to grow? i searched in my scalped for small hairs and there is none.!!!:(and also there is something might sound ironic but recently I had a flu shoot (Vaccine) after the vaccine my hair stopped falling completely for 3 days, :s and also when I drink beer too. the shedding gets less and less.
    I appreciate if you helped me in my miserable situation
    Thanks.
    Ponygirl likes this.
  3. Julia David

Julia David Member

hello! I'm not sure if you still check this - but how is your hair doing? I went through two nasty bouts of telogen effluvium from stopping birth control pills and lost considerable density.

It stopped falling out about a month or two ago and I see some short sprouts, but not all of what I lost yet.

Please tell me you have seen more recovery! I hope you are diong well!

thanks!