terrified...and so sad.

Discussion in 'Rants and Venting' started by Stacey2478, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Stacey2478

Stacey2478 New Member

So I guess I should start by saying that I have avoided joining for the longest time. I accepted that I was losing hair two years ago, but thought that joining a support group would mean becoming one of you. Lets face it, no one really wants to be a part of a group like this, and I thought it meant giving up on that last shred of hope I had. I would not even look at posts until today. I have spent the last 1/2 hour crying while reading. I am so tired of being told by my doctors that it just happens and maybe I am depressed/stressed. I told them the truth, that I was not depressed before this happenned, but I am now. I can't look at myself in the mirror without crying, I see a girl with thick hair and I want to smack her in the face! Why us? Why not the drug addicts or people who tease their hair endlessly? I am one of those people who can pick herself apart, but I have always loved my hair, and I take great care of it. And since when do regular doctors get to consider themselves psychologists? Last I heard you majored in medicine, not psychology moron!! I am sorry to go on and on, but it's been two years of pushing it down. The hardest part is that every few months I see new growth, and I get my hopes up, only to have them crushed when I start seeing the baby hairs in the sink. I'm sick of crying and most of all of no one thinking that it's anything to cry about. My boyfriend is very supportive, but has listened to this for so long, I've taken to crying in the bathroom after he falls asleep, just to give him a break. URG!!!!!!!
  2. Sammy7

Sammy7 New Member

The best thing about this site is you can gain information quickly that could have taken you YEARS to learn!

Hair loss is a big cross to bear and yes you start to hate yourself in the process. My husband thinks I am way to obsessed and thinks it is fine for me to go wig shopping :eek:

I think the wierdest thing about hair loss treatments is you have to lose hair in order for them to work?? How strange is that. It is like having a deep cut and then cutting yourself again in order to heal??

Keep using this site and venting anytime. I think it is theraputic helps with the stress.
  3. Talking Tina

Talking Tina New Member

Please keep posting and know that you are not alone.
  4. Stacey2478

Stacey2478 New Member

thank you

Thanks for replying to my post Sammy. As sad as some of these stories are, it helps to know I am not alone, and yes it was helpful with the stress too. I finally let it out and cried for what seemed like forever. Sounds sad, but it wasn't, I really needed it! My hairloss seems different than a lot of these stories though...it falls out and then within a few months I see new hair popping up everywhere. Problem is, it won't stick around, it falls out soon after. It seems to be on some sort of cycle and baffles the doctors even more. I've had a hormone panel done, a thyroid check (3x's) and although I had low iron, it has been resolved. Have you ever heard of this? I hope we can all get some answers someday, this sucks!!! Thanks again!

Stacey
  5. Stacey2478

Stacey2478 New Member

just noticed your post Tina, thank you that means a lot!
  6. kawawa

kawawa New Member

Hi Stacey,

It sounds a little like you may have miniaturization of the hair follicle. This is what happen when our root canals can't support the hair follicle root. Have you tried a shampoo like nizarol (not nioxin) it blocks the testostrone. You didn't say if you have diffuse thinning or thinning on the crown or temples only. etc.

Let me tell you that I was in complete denial for over 13 years. I kept myself from seeing the truth by thinking that since I only shed about 10 hairs a day that I wasn't going bald. What I didn't know was that I was only growing back 1 hair for every 10 that I lost. It all caught up with me last year when I developed balding spots. I now wear a bonded topper. I never in a million years would have thought I would put a wig on my head, but I love it.

Welcome and we are here to offer support anytime.
  7. Stacey2478

Stacey2478 New Member

So I am new to this, doesn't the term miniturization of the hair follicles used to describe all hair loss? Mine is an all over shed.
  8. Serge

Serge New Member

Hi Kawawa

Could you tell me what a bonded topper is please (forgive my ignorance)?
  9. kawawa

kawawa New Member

Bonded toppers are for women who really think that hair loss is a permanant fixture in their lives. After 14 years of having my hair come and go and then finally go to the point of bald spots I knew it was the right choice for me. I have always had short hair, so a trip to the salon each month is nothing for me. Prior to getting the topper I was spending a small fortune on products and services at an expensive salon.
    I now spend about $200 a month ($6.57a day) and go in every 4 weeks to have it reattached. I get two new hair systems a year included in that price. It is easy to maintain as far as I am concerned. I pack my lunch and gave up Starbucks for hair. In the process I lost 8 pounds. It is all good for me.

As for my bio hair, the system is attached to it. I haven't notice any damage to my bio hair over the last 8 months, but time will tell. I actually see an ever so slight improvement at this point. The jury is still out.

I wash my bio hair every day and the topper about every two or three days. I just pin the topper up on the days that I don't wash it, but let the water run under it as I wash my bio hair. It is really easy and I even have photos of the whole process. I am keeping a detailed photos log of all my hair adventures. I then blow dry it and style is as I would my bio hair except it takes much longer, but I am not complaining.

The thing I like best about it is that no one ever sees me with my thinning hair. I could not deal with taking the topper off every night. I hope that I have answered your questions. You can look at my photos on my page. I added you as a friend. Take Care
  10. kawawa

kawawa New Member

Remember when you were a kid and you would pull a hair. The root would be bulbus and present. Miniturization is when you can't tell the root from the other end and you have to run you finger down the hair to even feel the tiny little bump that was once a root.
  11. VictoriaG

VictoriaG New Member

Miniaturization

I did not know that either, thanks for explaining it! So I have a question...Do you have any idea why, during my worst sheds, there are big white roots attached??? I was also told I had miniaturization (based on a biopsy 2 years ago), but this doesn't jive. People here seem to know way more than the doctors do, so I'm curious. Thank you very much.
  12. Stacey2478

Stacey2478 New Member

OH! I can see the roots most of the time (I call em little white guys!) I dunno if thats a good thing or not, my hairdresser seems to think its bad.
  13. kawawa

kawawa New Member

Big roots are good that usually means there is a reason for the shed and that you still have scalp space for them. When you have tiny roots the holes close up when the hair falls out.
  14. kellyjean

kellyjean New Member

Hmm. I've noticed that some of my hair has the bulbous root, but some don't and I have to run my fingers down to feel the root.

Is that normal?
  15. kawawa

kawawa New Member

All I can say is that big ones are good. Hang in there.
  16. kawawa

kawawa New Member

I read this a while back, did do the treatment but it is interesting

Improving Hair Growth with Skin Remodeling Copper Peptides
    Loren Pickart PhD
    When we are young, our hair is thick, well-pigmented and grows rapidly on our head. But with the passage of time, the hair thins or vanishes, growth slows, and becomes grayer. While the search for methods to restore healthy, younger hair is ancient, the reality is that, even today, in the era of minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia), all existing therapies give at best a marginal restoration of hair health. Skin remodeling copper peptides, or SRCPs for short, are the latest candidate being tested for the improvement of hair health. What are SRCPs? They are types of copper peptides that are based on a human copper peptide complex called glycyl-l-histidyl-l-lysine:copper (II) or GHK-Cu for short. See Figure 1.
    Figure 1 Legend: Solution structure of GHK-Cu
    [​IMG]
    GHK-Cu is a normal component of human blood plasma, urine, and saliva. (1) It is increasingly being used in products sold for reversing the effects of aging on human skin. SRCPs are defined as having actions similar to GHK-Cu which include anti-inflammatory effects, skin repair actions, and the ability to increase the size of hair follicles. It should be emphasized that not all copper-peptides have such positive actions; indeed, some copper-peptides can inhibit these effects. (2-4)
    Causes of Hair Thinning and Loss of Vitality
    Before discussing the use of SRCPs on hair, it is best to first focus on the causes of hair thinning and loss in healthy humans. These causes are more diverse than generally realized although most attention has been focused on blocking the actions of DHT (dihydrotestosteone). For example, most theories of hair loss and thinning hair have focused on the metabolic actions of DHT, but in reality, other factors can also induce or modulate these effects. So it is best to consider each factor that influences hair growth separately.
    DHT – The actions of the androgens testosterone and DHT are major factors in scalp hair growth and male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia). Such androgens also stimulate axillary, pubic and beard hairs to grow. However, hairs such as eyebrows and eyelashes are not regulated by androgens. Testosterone is enzymatically converted by 5-AR to DHT in the hair follicle and DHT is thought to be the major factor in male pattern baldness.
    But many men have high testosterone metabolite levels but never suffer hair loss. The ultimate factor in hair loss appears to be not DHT itself, but damage to the hair follicle. A recent study of 3,000 individuals found no link between baldness and the genes (5-alpha reductase) controlling the the production of testosterone metabolites. (5,6) Some researchers are of the opinion that if follicular health is improved or maintained, it is possible that hair loss can be reversed or minimized.
    Miniaturized follicles – At age 15, hair follicles actively produce thick, heavy terminal hair for about 3.6 years during the anagen phase then shrink during the dormant telogen phase for about 4 months. As we age, the follicle's anagen phase progressively shortens while the telogen phase lengthens. The net result is a progressive shrinkage of follicle size during the anagen phase and this produces thinner, slower growing hair. (5,6) Hair conditioners are used to thicken the hair shaft with fats and proteins to give the appearance of fuller, more-youthful hair.
    Increase in length of dormant follicle phase – While this change is usually attributed to DHT actions, other factors such a damage caused by excessive heat, coloring agents, and relaxers may also produce follicle damage that results in less functional follicles.
    Inadequate follicle microcirculation – The synthesis of new hair necessitates a very high nutrient flow to the follicle bulb. Morphological studies often observe a markedly diminished capillary blood supply in aged, miniaturized follicles. This alone may be the cause of follicle miniaturization and inadequate hair syntheses. (5-7)
    Inflammation around follicles – Many dysfunctional follicles appear to have an auto-immune inflammation around the follicle. It has been proposed that follicular inflammation is the final step in the sequence of events that ultimately produces inactive follicles that are incapable of producing thick, terminal hair. (5-7)
    Decreased subcutaneous fat layer – The layer of fat at the base of the skin, also known as subcutaneous adipose tissue or colloquially called “baby fat”, diminishes with age. Researchers have noted the accumulation of this fat around healthy follicles that are vigorously growing hair, and its relative lack in around dormant follicles, and have postulated that these fat cells serve a supportive function for the hair follicle. Conditions that inhibit hair growth such as chemotherapy or starvation, also decrease the subcutaneous fat layer (5-7).
    Damage from relaxers, excessive heat, coloring agents and dyes – Numerous common procedures damage scalp health and hair follicles. Scalp damage from relaxers, permanents, color cosmetics with their organic dyes and metallic salts, and excessive heat from blow dryers and hot oil treatments that can literally boil the follicles, all can combine to damage the hair follicle and reduce hair growth. This is often most noticeable in women as a decrease or loss of eyebrows and eyelashes by age 40.
    Lack of sulfur donors – Hair is composed of 35% sulfur containing amino acids. Only feathers in birds have similar levels of such amino acids. Nutritional surfer supplements such as MSM (methyl sulfonyl methane) have long been used to improve the hair coats of racehorses and are increasingly being used to improve hair health in humans.
    Graying of hair – The hair colors are produced in pigment cells in the follicles. The amino acid tyrosine is converted by the copper-containing enzyme, tyrosinase, into black pigments called melanin or eumelanin and a reddish pigment, produced by a separate gene, called heomelanin (or sometimes called phaeomelanin). In most persons, hair color slowly decreases with age and may vanish to produce white hair in the elderly.
    Excessive hair cutting – Dr. George Michael (founder of the George Michael Long Hair Clinics) emphasized that longer hair is healthier hair. It is possible that hair follicles require some tension produced by the weight of a heavy hair shaft in the same manner that muscles and bones whither when not stressed and exercised. Michael remembered that, in the Russia of his youth, women in their sixties often had healthy, waist-length hair. Later, when he worked in New York City, he found that virtually no women of this age possessed such healthy hair.
    SRCPs to Stimulate Hair Growth
    One of the more exciting developments in skin research in recent years is the finding that hair follicles are the source of stem cells for the skin. (8,9) But long before these discoveries that linked hair follicles and skin repair, I had observed that, after treating skin wounds with GHK-Cu, that there was a profound enlargement of the hair follicles of the skin at the wound edge. To develop these discoveries for commercial uses, in 1985 I started a company called ProCyte. Further work with radioisotopes in mice indicated that the SRCP was present at the site of injection for only about 30 seconds before being cleared from the area. This meant that a very brief exposure of the follicle to the SRCP was sufficient to produce an increase in hair follicle volume of 4 to 8-fold and increased hair growth within 12 days.
    See Figure 2.
    Figure 2 Legend. A 25 day-old mouse was shaved and injected intradermally in three spots with a SRCP. Twelve days later, there was a very strong stimulation of hair growth at the injection sites.
    [​IMG]
    Further work by Steven Lovejoy (University of Washington) and myself found that the chemical addition of fat-like molecules, such as fatty acids or hydrophobic amino acid residues, to GHK-Cu, resulted in an intensified follicle enlargement action and more strongly stimulated the rate of hair growth in young mice. Even in undamaged mouse skin, one intradermal injection of the SRCPs induced accelerated hair growth after twelve days. Work with radioisotopes indicated that the SRCPs was present at the site of injection for only about 30 seconds before being cleared from the area. (10)
    These discoveries were later verified and extended by Hideo Uno at the University of Wisconsin. Uno had written The UpJohn Company's textbook for physicians when Rogaine (minoxidil) first was marketed. Using hair growth models in mice and rats, Uno found that SRCPs convert fine, short vellus hairs into thicker pigmented terminal hairs.
    Uno studied the details of hair stimulation by SRCPs in C3H mice and “Fuzzy” rats by 1) phototrichogram, 2) folliculogram (micro morphometric analysis), and 3) the rate of DNA synthesis in the follicular cells. He found that in C3H mice, the SRCPs stimulated of the follicular cell proliferation, resulting in an enlargement of the anagen follicles from vellus types that produce small, thin hair to terminal follicles that produce thick, long hair. type The SRCPs also maintained follicles in the anagen phase longer. In Fuzzy rats, a genetic strain that has only short vellus hair, the SRCPs had the effect of enlarging the small vellus follicles. (11-12).
    Also of interest were studies by Awa and Nogimori of Kaken Pharmaceuticals reported, that in mice, pretreatment with SRCPs blocked hair loss induced the cancer chemotherapy drugs cytosine arabinoside and doxorubicin. If mice were first treated with chemotherapeutic drugs to induce hair loss, subsequent treatment with SRCPs accelerated the recovery of lost hair. (13)
    Bernard Kalis (University of Reims) was the first to demonstrate that SRCPs also had positive actions on hair follicle functions in humans. His studies used phototrichogram analysis that found SRCPs caused a greater proportion of human follicles to switch from the dormant telogen state into the hair-growing anagen state. (14) A later placebo-controlled, three-month study in male humans found a SRCP (Ala-His-Lys: copper(II)) in a product called Tricomin increased the terminal hairs and was 32% more effective than the control group that used 2% minoxidil in this study. (15)
    Hideo Uno has commented that while minoxidil primarily stimulates new vellus hair growth, the SRCPs are more effective in the conversion of vellus hair into terminal hairs and suggested that the combined use of minoxidil and SRCPs would have a synergistic actions and be most effective. See Figure 2.
    Note – Figure 3 is self explanatory about the actions of minoxidil and SRCPs.
    [​IMG]
  17. Stacey2478

Stacey2478 New Member

ugh

thanks for the info, it is all so confusing but I have found a lot of good info from people on this site like you! I swear my shed was ready to stop and then the weather up here (I live in MA) hit the 90's and it started up again. I don't even know if thats possible, all I know is there is nothing more annoying then sweating your butt off and having the hair you are shedding stick to your arms, neck and chest like glue. I get grouchy enough when I'm hot! Just thinking about it makes me want to find someone with really great hair and trip her. LOL, the thought alone made me feel better. :)
  18. feelingwiggy

feelingwiggy New Member

you are soooooooo understood here!
  19. Angela

Angela Moderator

I'm glad you did join us. Many women come looking for advice about their hair loss or different kinds of treatments, but really what we discover is that we are so much more than our hair. Hair loss can make us extremely self-absorbed, but being on the Forum and Network is a way of reaching out to others and actually give of ourselves. Yes we want answers and hold out for hope, but soon we also see the strength and amazing souls of some very awesome women. You are included in that. We are all mirror images of each other...sometimes LITERALLY! LOL But we discover compassion we never had, empathy, and find renewed strength. We are the Great Sisterhood...beyond hair loss. :>
  20. Stacey2478

Stacey2478 New Member

thanks guys, I did come here for advice and research, but I found a lot more and am really grateful I am not alone! Although if I were alone then you would all be living happily in the town of ThickHairVille so maybe not wanting to be alone is selfish. Thanks again, you guys are awesome!