Too young for this.

Discussion in 'You've Got My Support' started by sjp234, May 27, 2013.

1. sjp234

sjp234 New Member

It's the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing I think about when I go to bed.
    My hair began shedding after a few years of poor nutrition. I did some crash dieting in high school and lost a substantial amount of weight. Naturally, my hair was affected in the aftermath. However, as I started eating healthier, putting the weight back on that I had lost, my hair continued to shed. A year later, my hair is still shedding. I never had thick hair, but now it's incredibly thin.
    I started college this past year with a hopeful foot forward. My hair was in a terrible shedding phase, and I was turning around my eating habits, eating ambitious amounts of meat and taking lots of vitamins. My Christmas, my hair was much better. Not where it had been when I was younger, but still better. Then things took a turn for the worst. Despite my continued good eating habits, my hair began to shed again. It felt like my hair was straw, sitting on top of my head. A simple turn made hairs fall.
    So, I got blood work drawn and was referred to a plethora of different doctors. My thyroid was slightly low, so my endocrinologist put me on Synthroid which, surprise, made my hair even worse. Now I am on Spironolactone, which has made little change.

It's not that I'm hopeless; I literally pounce on any change or possibility for change. It's just difficult, having a completely normal life, then being completely submissive to what my hair does. I have become more introverted and started seeing a counselour. I love myself, but I can't help but feel worthless at my body's betrayal. Why me?
  2. Kirthi

Kirthi New Member

I'm really sorry that you have had to face this. Hair loss at any age is devastating. But when it happens when you're just starting out on your life, it's even worse.

I have androgenetic alopecia which set in around the age of 18. I've always had thin, fine hair and it didn't help that I was now losing gobs of hair that I couldn't afford to lose.

Eating right is still important. Your hair is an indicator of your health at the point it was growing. So you have to keep eating right. This will be very important when/if you decide on a hair prosthesis.

Hair loss in women is still not commonly discussed by doctors and most are rather callous about treating it.

Chances are that the temporary reduction in hair loss was due to your hair's growing phases.Chances are your hair loss may be stress related, or because of alopecia or because of something else. Meeting a tricologist might help you pin down the source of your problems and may be combat it.

That said, don't let it get to you. At your age, I remember that it affected my confidence and my belief in myself. If it affects you a lot, buy a hair piece and buy it now! I waited over a decade to buy mine and I wish I had done it much, much earlier.

Wigs and toppers may seem intimidating, but they are not. Nor are they a sign of defeat. If you can wear makeup, you can wear a hair piece. They will bolster your confidence and let you do the things you have to do at that phase in your life: make friends, have fun, fall in love and succeed in life.

It's horrible, horrible that you have to go through this betrayal. But your hair is not you! It is one part of the canvas that is you.
  3. LucyLight

LucyLight New Member

I just want to tell you that in the case of Chronic Telogen effluvium there are successive sheds before it stops. The shocked follicles need to get synced up with the hair's growth cycle.
    I have experienced this and I am pretty confident I am nearing the end. It has been nearly four years of on and off sheds.
  4. efie30

efie30 New Member

I can't second enough the post by Kirthi. I am now 42 and I wish I had not WASTED the time I did in my 20s concerned about my hair. As callous as this sounds....just go buy some. Even people with normal hair are wearing it now.

There is so much freedom in telling all the people close to you and those that you love..."do you like my new hair!? I do! I feel great!" and watching the relief and love on their faces. Freedom!

Take good care of your health - do the vitamins, healthy eating and exercise - but let technology take care of the hair for you. This is a great time to be alive!

You haven't done anything wrong. Don't wallow in something that $150 a month can fix. You are beautiful. When you really feel that for yourself, the world will notice and react...not to your HAIR, but to YOU!