Topper not clipped in or bonded..is it possible?

Discussion in 'Wigs and Toppers' started by trishtrish, Dec 17, 2013.

1. trishtrish

trishtrish New Member

So, I have a topper, but have only kinda been wearing it around the house to try to get used to it. The clips are really painful and I noticed yesterday that it tugged some of my hair out and left a small bald spot :(

I'm wondering if there are any other options with a topper besides bonding if the clips don't work out? Is there a way to wear it securely? It gets quite windy where I live, so it's a bit of a concern for me. My bio hair is very long and I'm covering a huge AA spot on my crown and thinning all over, but I'm just not ready to cut it off for a full wig yet.

Any suggestions?
  2. porshiana

porshiana Member

Trish... you don't have to cut your hair off for a full wig. Well... I don't. But then again i suppose it depends on how thick youre bio hair is. I have AGA so my hair is thin. I wear my wig like a topper. It does not have clips, it has combs which don't pull. However if they are uncomfortable you can push them aside and not use them. The full cap wig is pretty secure on its own because it fits you like a hat. I leave my bio hair out so i can pull. it into updo's and show a natural hair line.
  3. trishtrish

trishtrish New Member

Thanks for the great info porshiana! So, I also bought a full wig many years back that I never used because my hair started growing back. It's a Jon Renau synthetic wig and I believe it is shorter than my bio hair (My bio hair is 1/2 way down my back) I never tried to use it as a topper, like you said, but I'll give it a go! My hair is thinning very rapidly, so I may have to go to a full wig soon anyway.

Do you leave your bio hair out in the front also? Or do you completely tuck the front in?
  4. porshiana

porshiana Member

I completely tuck it in. With the bangs i just pulled my side's out. With the lace front i tuck. The top in and blend the wig into my bio hair at the outermost corners of the widows peak. The truth is, I've looked at a lot of videos and such and wigs are just like makeup. You have to find what works for you, and your wig. Follow the contour and just see where and how it looks most natural. And just like makeup we can give you tons of advice, its up to you to try as much as you can and see if it works for you. Because of the way i do things, getting new wigs every few weeks, i have the luxury of extra old wigs to experiment on. So I've tried a lot of stuff. I'm certainly willing to share as much of my results as possible. If you have any other questions I'm more than willing to try help.Good luck.
  5. porshiana

porshiana Member

By the way, im curious and no one has directly told me. Are you able to find and view my photos? I want to be sure. I have my. Settings right.
  6. trishtrish

trishtrish New Member

Hi porshiana, sorry I haven't had much time to check the forum lately. Yes, I'm able to see your albums... Love the colors of your freetress wig. I was planning on ordering a Freetress wig also, since they are so inexpensive. It will be fun to play with a few different hairstyles. I think getting 2 different wigs will only cost about $50! It's incredible! How do you keep the shine of your synthetic wigs down?
  7. porshiana

porshiana Member

Actually it's two birds with one stone. Before i use them i soak them in half apple cider vinegar and half water solution for about an hour. This gets rid of any ammonia alkaline base that causes my head to itch, and dulls the shine considerably. Afterward i soak it in a 1:5 liquid downy/ water solution for softeness.
  8. porshiana

porshiana Member

Although i personally think it becomes too dull. I like some shine. Ado i use bonfi oil free wig sheen. Smells awesome like black cherry.
  9. porshiana

porshiana Member

May i ask what type your considering? If your wanting a snug fit i know the natural hairline lace front caps run small. The lacee front invisipart caps run larger. Do u have experience with lace fronts? If you're using your side bio hair to blendlike i do, i tack the sides with needle and thread or glue. If you leave it as is you will notice that when you pull your sides back the lace shows underneath. By folding it so some hair is underneath the lace isn't visible. Then u can pull your hair back at will and nobody will see anything.

Attached Files:

10. trishtrish

trishtrish New Member

I just ordered one from Freetress and one from Sensationnel. The Freetress is a full cap and it has bangs, so no lace front. The Sensationnel wig is lace front, easy 5 L-part. I'm not planning on splitting the part, as a lot of people on Hair Sisters suggested to leave it as is.

I've been watching lots of YouTube videos on how to wear a lace front without glueing. I saw that a lot of African-American women just use a nylon wig cap and attach the combs to the cap to eliminate the need of glue. I think I will try to do that.