Virginian looking to meet other Virginians!

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Corinne13106, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Corinne13106

Corinne13106 New Member

Hi,

I am in central Virginia and would love to chat or meet with anyone else in the area. Due to only having online support groups I would love to talk with someone local. Let me know!
  2. hilree30

hilree30 New Member

Hello fellow Virginian

Hi....My name is Hillarie, I'm new to this forum...and am a member of the network for a short time also. I live in Virgina, I'm from Craig Co. Work in Roanoke. Not for sure if your familiar w/ either. Where are you from? It would be great to actually speak/chat with someone who may be going thru the same things I am. When I found these sites, I was sooo amazed, I couldn't believe there were sooo many people out there going thru the same craziness I was. It's really been a god send.
  3. Corinne13106

Corinne13106 New Member

Hi Hillarie! It's nice to meet you! My name is Corinne and I live in Lynchburg! I am also new to this forum but have found it very helpful and have enjoyed being in conversation with others. My only experience communicating with others has been through online forums so I am thrilled to know that there is someone out there only an hour away!
  4. hilree30

hilree30 New Member

Oh wow...you are close then. I haven't been out that way for a very long time though. So not to familiar w/ that area. I'm still learning roanoke...LOL
    So, can I ask what brought you to this forum? I found it, after becoming a member of the network. And I just happen to stumble across it. I was looking online...in desperation for answers, and found the site. It was really nice to see so many woman sharing there stories.
    My hair loss has been an up and down thing for many years now. I believe I was in my early 20's when I realized my hair was thin. I guess I didn't worry/obsess over it as much then. But it's gradually gotten worse. I have 2 children, and during each pregnancy, my hair seem to really thicken up. And only after finding this site, did I start to wonder if it had something to do w/ hormones. I had only talked to one other Dr. before...and (she)...really dismissed me...she said "some woman just lose there hair"...I mean she was really insensitive. It's been 6mos since I had my little boy, and every since then, it seems I am really losing a lot. Enough to where I am self-conscious of it. I went to another dr...who is going to do some blood work at my 21 day mark of my cycle..to test my progesterone. And I have an appt w/ a dermatologist at the end of this week. I am trying not to get my hopes up, b/c i know there are so many cases where there is no "answer" or "cure"...but it's hard not to be hopeful. I have learned a lot from reading others stories, and it's given me a place to start. And for that I am grateful. Well, that's a little of my story...Please feel free to share yours.
  5. Corinne13106

Corinne13106 New Member

I don't remember really how I came across this forum. There's another one that I had posted with several times but this seems to be a little more active. I'm also a member of this network but haven't gotten the hang of it or even seen the point of it yet.

On my network page I added my story that I wrote several months ago. It's at: http://community.womenshairlossproject.com/Corinne/. Basically, I think that synthetic hormones of birth control triggered my hair loss and in the course of 7 months (since the most recent major sign of hair loss) I have lost all my hair. I had one period of some regrowth but it was very short lived and was never more than a few centimeters of very fine brown hair in 2-3 areas on my head. I believe that a hormone imbalance is the cause of my loss and can completely understand how your body goes through cycles of growth and loss. Do you remember anything that might have triggered your hair loss when you were in your twenties?
  6. hilree30

hilree30 New Member

I don't really remember anything in general to be honest. But...I never had a period as a teenager..actually never had a period til I was 24 yrs old. I assumed something major was wrong w/ me. When I finally got insurance I went to a gyno..and he said everything inside of me looked fine. He prescibed me some provera, and I had a period. He said my weight contributed to not having a period. Later in life, I was told I had PCOS. And I still don't have regular periods. And i have only been on BC twice in my life...and they were only for very short time periods. I have had children though, which is uncommon for people w/ PCOS..so I've been told. So, I'm putting all these things together..along w/ the hair being thicker while I am pregnant...and the shedding after i gave birth. Since I know my hormones are outta wack anyway....(not having regular periods and all)....I just believe it is some how related. The Dr. I just recently saw, agreed to some extent that having low progeserone, could be the reason. As I said, I hate to get my hopes up, but I guess I'm just not at that stage of accepting my hairloss yet. I am going to take some time to read you story now. Thanks for "listening"... :)
  7. Corinne13106

Corinne13106 New Member

I have some friends with PCOS. For them it seems difficult to live with. I've also heard that it is not common to be able to conceive with PCOS so congratulations on your two children! I know that one of my friends with PCOS experiences hair thinning because of it. Of course, it is due to the hormone imbalance. Do you think that this could be the root of your hair's up and downs? Has your recent dr. given you any treatment plan? I have my first appointment with an Endocrinologist at UVA in a month. I am hopeful about this appt. because they specialize in hormones (basically). It may mean more tests which I don't know how I will pay for but at least there's the hope that they can help. I do know that I will forever be extremely hesitant to subject myself to any medication.
  8. made

made New Member

support group maryland

Looking for group in maryland, annapolis Dc area
  9. made

made New Member

androgenetic alopecia new to this

Looking for group in maryland, annapolis Dc area someone to talk about this condition
  10. Luc30

Luc30 New Member

I'm in Maryland!

Hello!

I'm in Maryland, and I would also love to meet others in Maryland, and possibly build a support group here in the DMV area.

take care!

Luciana