What about laser therapy ?

Discussion in 'Open Topic (General)' started by azarea, Jul 23, 2009.

1. azarea

azarea New Member

Does this work? Or is it, for lack of a better word… Crap? It says that they are FDA approved? Does that mean they word or are safe? I can’t find any evidence either way. Thanks.
  2. cartoc6

cartoc6 New Member

I have female pattern baldness, and I did try laser therapy. It workd for me. I went to a hair loss clinic for the treatments. Basically, the laser makes the existing hairs and any hairs coming in thicker and stronger. I had more body to my hair.
  3. azarea

azarea New Member

hey there I'm a woman losing her hair and I use thickening shampoos but I have heard of laser does it do anything? been watching videos on youtube
    is this a scam or does it work?
  4. Blabber

Blabber New Member

Azarea,

I am beginning laser therapy at a hair loss clinic on Monday. I have done extensive research on it and am convinced it is one of the best treatments out there. The clinic says they see some sort of positive results in over 90% of their pateitns. I am also thinking of ordering a home laser since the clinic treatments are very expensive. They have home lasers available for about $500 (which is like 6 sessions at the clinic). I plan to document my results over the next few months thru photos to see if it really works, but I have hopes!

I know that the LaserComb is approved by the FDA. The overhead lasers used at the clinic are the same exact strength as the comb, there are just a lot more of them (like 100 lasers instead of 6). That's why people get such better results at clinics than with the Comb. I know that Europeans have been using low level laser therapy to treat hair loss for decades.
  5. arbillue

arbillue New Member

Azarea,
    I am considering buying one of the freestanding laser units have you had any positive results since starting the laser treatments?
  6. oncesilky

oncesilky New Member

Light laser therapy

Hi. I am brand new to this forum and 'am so happy to see others with the same problems as me. You feel so lonely out there and figure you are the only one.
    I have been losing my hair for about 5 years now. My once thick ,albeit fine hair, is now reduced to a fraction of what it once was. It could be worse though. I tried everything. Aldactone, a pill for which I now cannot remember the name of that was EXTREMELY hard on the liver (hence I stopped taking it),propecia,"special shampoos" rogaine, etc. I saw 4 different doctors that ranged from indifferent to almost hostiliy in their response to my plight. Finally I found a doctor (a dermatologist that specializes in hair transplants) and he offered a different solution. He had been following for about 1 1/2 years the effects (if any) of low level light on hair growth. He said he did not want to buy anything until he saw some unbiased research done.
    I came to him at a time I was my most desperate. He had just purchased a machine and asked if I would give it a try. He kept me on the propecia and rogaine. I went "under" the lights (20 min each session) 3 times a week for 6 months, then 2 times a week for 6 months and now once a week. I have been doing this now for 1 1/2 years.
    Each session costs $65 CDN or you can pay for the entire year at a cheaper price. You can write this off on your income tax (at least here you can).
    It was a GOD SEND. After only 5 weeks I saw a tremendous difference. Instead of losing 200-400 hairs a day I lose only about 15 when I wash it and usually only 3 or 4 when I comb it! I have even seen some regrowth at my temples and definately at my part. They say for a certain percentage one will notice even a larger regrowth.
    I am considering buying the brush as this is something I do not want to stop for fear of losing again. Plus it is somewhat inconvenient to travel for treatment that lasts only 20 minutes. I just hope it is as effective.
    I was the first to use this devise at my doctors' practice. He since has many patients using the laser with equally good results as far as I know.
    I am just happy not to see anymore hair dropping to the floor.
    I certainly think it is worth trying for anyone losing their hair.
    I hope this helps you with your question and good luck!
  7. bridget

bridget New Member

It works!

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that 6 months ago I ordered a standing laser for about $500. I had overall thinning so it was hard for me at first to tell if it was working or not (I didn't have a bald spot to look for growth). Anyways, over time, I noticed by hair didn't have all these fine, broken pieces. I could curl it, tease it up a bit. It has more body! A good measure for me was when it was wet and I would comb the top back...it's not as "see-throughy" anymore. It's not the hair I had in high school yet, but I believe that I will continue to experience positive results! The best part was he gives you a 4 month guarantee (if I remember correctly) and about at that mark, i emailed him and asked him questions. He replied promptly and said he would extend the warranty if I wanted! You never hear of that! I would post his website, but I'm not sure if we can do that.

Bottom line, I would say go for it, by one on a stand, it's a lot cheaper (the ones in laser center may work faster because they have more lasers)
  8. brneyez

brneyez New Member

I (unfortunately) went to one of these hair loss clinics. They had an excellent sales staff because they made me feel like I was going to grow all my hair back. They showed me a 'chart' of where my hair loss was at, and what it should look like at the end of treatment. She even went on to say that she 'takes special care of her female patients'. The treatment was (I believe) 26 sessions sitting under the lasers. She said at the half way point she wanted t assess my progress. So I went in for my treatments with high hopes. Sadly, I felt like I was making no progress (I too had an overall thinning, not bald spots to easily see if there was progress). After about 20 sessions I remember what she had told me (that I should come in for an assessment), so I made an appointment. She, along with the owner of the clinic, sat down with me and made me feel really uncomfortable. Like I was some trouble maker about to complain about my lack of results. When I told them that I was only doing what they had said, they basically told me my case was hopeless and that laser treatment wasn't going to work for me.

Granted, I really didn't care for the people at my HLC, but bottom line was laser didn't work, if it did, why would there still be bald people in the world?
  9. bridget

bridget New Member

I truly am sorry brneyez that you saw no result:( I think if azarea wants to try it, she should go the route I went, where you have a money back guarantee for a few months. Unfortunately it's not a sure thing for everyone. How often were you going brneyez? I'm no expert, but it seems like some people's results take longer. The place where I got my laser from had a testimonial from a woman who did not see any major results until a year plus seeing full results 2 years later.
  10. oncesilky

oncesilky New Member

I have been looking everywhere for the laser on a stand. The brush doesn't cut it very well. Way too much time consuming as you have to hold it in one place, leave it 20 minutes then move on to another.
    Can you tell me how many diodes yours has? Where did you get it and how much did ou pay for it. I am glad it worked for you.
  11. bridget

bridget New Member

Hi,

I got mine from professionalhairlaser.com and I paid just under $500. It has 50 diodes. The stand is great!!
  12. oncesilky

oncesilky New Member

Thankyou so much for your quick response. When I typed in the address you gave me there popped up about 10 choices. I picked the one that said Supergrow Professional Home Lasers. The # they gave was 832-788-7042. The price listed was $549.00(U.S.) and advertised for 50 diodes and 650nm. Unfortunately when I tried to use my credit card it would not go through. I called the # and talked with a gentleman (Jeff) and he said he would get back to me. So I thought I would take the opportunity to check with you to see if it sounds like the same place as you got yours. I just don't want to get ripped off. Does this sound similar?(It is also on a stand. They also advertise the more expensive kind for $749 and they look like a blowdryer at a hair salon)
  13. bridget

bridget New Member

Yes, that sounds like the right place...on the first page of that website there is a $25 off coupon so make sure you mention it to him when he calls you back.
  14. brneyez

brneyez New Member

It could have just been the place that I went. It seemed like they were more interested in the money than my actual results. I would go twice a week for 13 weeks. They made me think that the 13 week treatment would 'cure me', but now from what I have heard on this site, it could take years of laser treatment, you would think they would have known that at this place I went, rather than just take my money and run.

I don't mean to be a sour puss, but I also don't want someone to go thru the same thing I did (have high hopes with no results) and be out the $3500 that I spent for this. Although I did report this company to the BBB, that made me feel a little better.
  15. oncesilky

oncesilky New Member

It sounds as if you are correct. The place you went to was not very forth- coming. Laser treatment takes time. One should really be going for about a year to make a true assessment of your situation. I went 3 times a week for a couple of months, then twice a week and now once a week. My doctor aso put me on Rogaine (not the foam but the liquid. This way it doesn't make my hair sticky at all). He feels the two together gives you the best chance of saving and regrowing your hair. I have now purchaced a laser light on a stand for home use. Now I can save money and time and use it as long as I need to.(which will probably be forever. It also has helped to make my hair shinier).
    You should find yourself a reputable dermatologist who specializes in hair. Let him set up a program with you, When you go to these "salons" they usually are only looking out for themselves and do not have knowledgeable people working there. They do not know enough about hair loss or the treatments of such.
    Good luck to you
  16. bridget

bridget New Member

Sorry brneyez to hear about all you went through...you didn't sound like a sour puss, just someone who's fed up with all of this and I can completely understand why (been there myself). That's a hard situation because maybe it would have worked if given time, but you would have to put out more $$ in order to find that out. I hope things turn around for you.
  17. lilly1976

lilly1976 New Member

hi there: Just wondering how often you go, and is this something you will need to continue doing? How severe is your hair loss?
  18. cwallace

cwallace New Member

Has anyone tried Advanced laser therapy? I'm really concerned there could be side effects. Anyone know?
  19. saniaa83

saniaa83 New Member

Laser Hair Therapy is a non-chemical, non-invasive treatment that is being used around the U.S. for the treatment of hair loss. Like other treatments (such as Propecia and Minoxidil), some patients tend to respond better than others. In general, it seems that patients who 'have more hair' (perhaps in early stages of hair loss) tend to have better results. Large-scale clinical trials have yet to be performed. However, many men and women are seeing positive changes in their hair in response to these types of treatments.