What your doctor never told you about thyroid issues and hair loss

Discussion in 'Hair Loss Causes' started by Kyle, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Kyle

Kyle New Member

Hi everyone,

I have been suffering from hair loss for the last 5 years. I believe I had AGA but stopping birht control pills triggered a massaive telogen effluvium that I had gotten completely under control last year, before a chronic illness flared up. To help with fibromyalgia, my doctor prescribed nature-throid, dessicated pig hormones to help with some minor hypothyroid symptoms since I was in the low, normal range.

Long story short, about 6 months after taking nature-throid my hair started to fall out significantly. Long, thick hairs, that had never been touched by this nightmare were now falling. I went to see my doctor and found out that I had drug-induced hyperthyroidms. It is extremely frustrating when you are trying to make things better, to only begin making them worse. The last thing I needed was my thyroid to now begin contributing to my hair loss! The doctor right awa lower the dose, and although she is a naturopath who thikns " outside the box" she really could not explain to me why my hair was falling and honestly was not sure my hair loss was entirely due to the thyroid issue.

As usual, I began reading scientific articles and searching the internet for answers. What I first found is that fluctuating thyroid levels can cause hair loss-nothing new here. I also found several articles showing that we have thyroid hormone receptors in our hair follicles and the mechanisms by which thyroid affects hair are just beginning to be understood. Lastly, I found that hyperthyroidsm and hytpothyroidsm affect other sex hormones, which more clearly explain why hair may fall if you are sensitive to fluctuating sex hormone levels. It turns out that hyperthyroidsm competes with estrogen to bind to specific receptors in our skin (suggesting this may be the case for hair as well). Thus, estradiol gel has been used in experimental settings with success for treatment of hypoerthyroidsm as not only it competes to bind to receptors with thyroid hormones, but it also inhibits the production of thyroid hormones from the thyroid gland. Have you ever heard that women who take birth control pills and have a predisposition to thyroid issues may get hypothyroid due to the inhibiting role of estrogen on the thyroid gland?? No doctor knows this because they rarely read ANY scientific paper!!

In addition, I found that an excess of thyroid hormones decreases testosterone (my testosterone levels were low with drug induced thypoerthyroidms and they have always been on the high side for me!). While estrogen inhibits the thyroid gland, progesterone (and this is natural progesterone, not progestin) promotes the production of thyroid hormones. You start getting a picture here, dont you? I have spent the entire week reading papers from in vitro studies and in vivo studies and these are the conclusions I came up with.

Given this information, I have decided to do a little experiment--it won't hurt if doctors have already messed up your body in the way they have messed up mine. I am applying estrogen gel with the rogaine on my crown and will see what happens. Since fluctuating thyroid levels cause hair loss, most likely this wont work right away, but it may speed up the process of getting stable levels again and stop this hair loss nightmare at least to a degree where I can feel there is still hope. If you are hypothyroid, I would try supplementing with natural progesterone, b vitamins, and supplements for adrenal fatigue instead of taking thyroid meds, as the meds themselves can be the ones responsible for your hair loss. I hope you can find a doctor who is knowledgable and open-minded. I have one, but it is frustrating when you find out you know more than the doctor who you are paying to to figure out stuff like this for you. This may not be the oly mechanisms by which thyroid issues cause hair loss, but I will let you know if it works for me. If you have any information along these lines, please share it with me and others. There is so little known about how thyroid hormones interact with sex hormones that anecdotal evidence from our personal experiences would be really helpful for those of us dealing with this.

I will be joining the network soon and I am happy to share these articles with all of you.

Take care,
    Kyle
  2. midnite113

midnite113 New Member

Kyle, I like your story. It made me start thinking of why women lose their hair when they become menopausal. Kind of sounds related to me. Specially with it affecting the sex hormones also. I agree that most doctors do not study anything about women's problems whatsoever. They just listen to whoever is in their office selling new drugs to them. I appreciate your research.
  3. Debbad

Debbad New Member

Hi Kyle thanks for sharing your research into the thyroid link. It is all very interesting. Wishing you the best Debbie
  4. Julia David

Julia David Member

The thyroid gland plays such a pivotal role in a person’s health, issues with nearly every part of the body can be a sign of a thyroid condition.

For example, muscle and joint pain including carpal tunnel and tendonitis could be a symptom of a thyroid problem. So can hair loss and excessively dry skin, digestive problems and menstrual issues, chronic fatigue, and dramatic and unexplained weight changes.

While each of these health issues could be unrelated to a thyroid condition, are also signs of a thyroid problem—especially if a person experiences several of them at the same time.