White Bulb on Hair

Discussion in 'Open Topic (General)' started by Hopeful_09, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Hopeful_09

Hopeful_09 New Member

Hi Everyone,

Ok, this is going to be an incredibly unscientific post, but I don't know any other way to ask it. When my hair falls out, I'll notice a white bulb at the end of it. Does that mean my hair has fallen out for good and no regrowth is possible? Or does the white bulb hold no significance to regrowth?:confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  2. BeckyB1128

BeckyB1128 New Member

Good Question

Thats a good question. Most of the articles I've seen online say the white tip is indicative of telogen hairs, so it could be telogen effluvium and therefore not necessarily permanent. However, I've never read anything about what the hairs look like when they fall out for other reasons, wouldn't they still have the root attached?
  3. ForeverBlue

ForeverBlue New Member

Good News

My Derm. told me that when there's a white ball on the end of your hair, that means that hair will grow back. She said to always check for that, and if it's there, that's a good sign.
  4. missy33

missy33 New Member

I hope you're right about the white bulbs meaning the hair will grow back- all my hairs that fall out (and believe me- it's a lot) all have the white bulb.
  5. TEforMe?

TEforMe? New Member

I have a tiny white bulb on mine too....well most of them. When the derm did my "pull test" he looked for it under a magnifying glass and diagnosed me with Telogen Effluvium. He said it would last for about 4-6 months, but unfortunately it has been a year and my hair is about 50-60% gone with no stopping in sight! :(
  6. missy33

missy33 New Member

TEforME?- do you currently use any treatments for your hairloss? Like I mentioned above- I also have the white bulb and go back and forth every day thinking I have AGA or TE (I'm calling tomorrow for a scalp biopsy so hopefully I'll know for sure). I just don't seem to fit the pattern for AGA- but I've also been shedding for almost a year and have lost about 40% of my hair and I know this doesn't fit with TE either.

Just curious how you are treating this since our stories sound somewhat similar.
  7. Lucy4

Lucy4 New Member

I've come to the conclusion that my recurring hair loss is Telogen effluvium. I've looked around this site quite a bit, and I haven't seen much information on it. Mine is recurring, so I need to find out what is triggering it on such a regular basis. The presence of the hair bulbs is a definite part of this condition.

I found this scholarly article on Telogen effluvium which is very informative (be sure to check out the second page too). It also talks about the chronic type, which is less common.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1071566-overview
  8. BeckyB1128

BeckyB1128 New Member

While we're on the subject...

Does anyone else have varying sizes of white bulbs/tips? Some are pretty prominent and some are barely noticeable (but still there). Also, I've noticed a number of strands in the last week that don't have a bulb, but more like a long, white, flat sheath. Does anyone know what that means? Thanks!
  9. Lucy4

Lucy4 New Member

It's a total guess on my part, but the white sheath you're describing might be the outer root sheath--maybe those hairs have broken off above the bulb for some reason. Here's a pic compliments of Gray's Anatomy and Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray944.png
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  10. BeckyB1128

BeckyB1128 New Member

Thanks Lucy! You're probably right. I'm going to see a trichologist in two weeks, I am going to write all these questions down and try to get the answers. I'll post what they tell me!
  11. Jen's Serendipity

Jen's Serendipity New Member

THANKYOU for asking this and everyone for the replies. I'm early into the process of sorting all this out and was wondering the same thing!
  12. Dianacarolinaaxo

Dianacarolinaaxo New Member

Same here! Im 15 and my hair falls out with these white bulbs , i been thru a big emotional stress for about 2 years, im diganosed with depression. I also use to flat iron and tease my hair for about 8 months but i stopped and went natural for about a year but still my hair has gotten thin and im worried that i'll go blad , evertime i run my fingers thru my hair like one strand cones out but in the shower about 1O hairs come out, ofc not im clumps but still, i also have oily hair and dandruff and it juss kills me i want my hair to go to normal i dont want to go blad at my early age im juss in my early teen years :( but i want to know what these white bulbs mean ! Thank you .
  13. Dianacarolinaaxo

Dianacarolinaaxo New Member

Same here! Im 15 and my hair falls out with these white bulbs , i been thru a big emotional stress for about 2 years, im diganosed with depression. I also use to flat iron and tease my hair for about 8 months but i stopped and went natural for about a year but still my hair has gotten thin and im worried that i'll go blad , evertime i run my fingers thru my hair like one strand cones out but in the shower about 1O hairs come out, ofc not im clumps but still, i also have oily hair and dandruff and it juss kills me i want my hair to go to normal i dont want to go blad at my early age im juss in my early teen years :( but i want to know what these white bulbs mean ! Thank you .

Btw im new to this forum :)
  14. shinning_likeme

shinning_likeme New Member

No that's shed hair

No that's shed hair.

Shed hair is hair that has reached the end of its growing cycle and naturally falls from the scalp along with its tiny, white "root" attached. This is not the actual hair root that is secured deeply within your scalp, but it is the bulb root or base of the hair strand found on the scalp-originating end. It appears white because the hair stops producing melanin (color) at the point in its growth cycle right before it gets ready to fall. If your actual hair root came out along with the hair, you would no longer be able to produce hair from that same place on the scalp ever again! If a hair does not possess this white root bulb, then it is not a naturally shed hair, rather, a broken one. Shed hair tends to be longer in length than broken hairs which are generally short pieces of varying lengths. According to Halal, after a hair is naturally shed, it may take about 130 days for a new hair to fully emerge in its place.

In general, shedding should not be a major concern for you and should be seen as a sign of a healthy, normal, functioning scalp. There is no need to fear shedding unless it is tied to a medical issue. If you notice rapid hair loss from shedding or hair loss accompanied by a host of other problems, please consult a medical professional. Most shedding, however, is simply nature taking its course.

Also, our hair naturally cycles in and out of seasonal shedding phases which may last days or weeks at a time in some individuals. Research suggests that peak shedding rates occur during the fall season. A healthy head of hair may shed as many as 50- 100 hairs per day, though I personally believe this amount to be a grand stretch. You should be concerned if your shedding suddenly increases to a rate that was uncommon to you before, or if the shedding seems to be prolonged over the course of several weeks or months.

If you don't have that white bulb that's called breakage. Breakage along with too much shedding should worry you not this. You have a healthy scalp.

Hoped that helped!♥