Wig bad for new hair growth

Discussion in 'Open Topic (General)' started by Ivanovna, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Ivanovna

Ivanovna New Member

Hi all,

I don't know what is causing my rapid hair loss, but I am so scared I went out and bought a wig yesterday. It seems I will need it very soon. I was curious if wearing a wig would restrict potential new hair from growing. Hope someone can help me with this...

Thank you :)
  2. Rosy

Rosy New Member

Hi

With my experience with my daughter (she has alopecia areata). Her hair coming and going has its own schedule (more's the pity). She has been wearing wigs since she was 12 (she is now 21). In the last 10 years her hair has regrown and shed 5 times - nothing to do with wig wearing.

I think that you could cause breakage and traction alopecia if you were wearing extensions or using clips to hold on a hairpiece (but even then this would be fairly rare - as the clips are designed to be kind on your hair).

Rosy
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  3. Ivanovna

Ivanovna New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. This is very helpful and makes me feel a lot calmer about wearing a wig. It is wonderful you are so supportive of your daughter and engaging in this forum. It means so much to me that I can talk to my mom about this and lean on her. I am sure your daughter feels the same way.